Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

building full color projector need advice on red

Hello,

Im in the process of putting together a full color laser projector.

I currently have 1.3 watts of 532nm and 400mW of 445nm.

What would you guys recommend as far as the red laser? which wavelength is better and how much power will be good for this project? I am also going for analog modulation.

If anyone is wondering...this project originally was going to be just a green laser projector but decided to go full color....i have the proper software to control brightness of lasers etc.....

Thanks

Your gonna need a lot of red and that green will have to be throttled down
quite a bit if you want a good color blend. 1W of red wouldn't hurt :D

flecom

thats a good option, lower wavelength is going to give you more percieved brightness... unfortunately red is still an expensive color if you want lots of power...

maybe Casio will make a new projector with red lasers? :)

we can hope right?

flecom

green is already pretty cheap IMHO... you can usually get it for $1~per mW... blue used to be ~$7-$8 per mW, now its practically free... yet red still rides around ~$2+ per mW for a nice 642 module

although a direct green diode would be great since we could eliminate DPSS modulation issues... man could you imagine a DLP projector with like 10 watts of 445, 10 watts of 530~540 something and 10 watts of 638-642... my life would be complete lol

no more gas rigs, AOM's PCAOM's bragg mounts, none of that sillyness just sweet sweet diodes lol

Hello,

Im in the process of putting together a full color laser projector.

I currently have 1.3 watts of 532nm and 400mW of 445nm.

What would you guys recommend as far as the red laser? which wavelength is better and how much power will be good for this project? I am also going for analog modulation.

If anyone is wondering...this project originally was going to be just a green laser projector but decided to go full color....i have the proper software to control brightness of lasers etc.....

Thanks

400mw of 445 does nto match 1.3watts of 532. turn your 445 up to 1watt.

i suppose red all comes down to cost.

640 or low will require less pwoer but will cost more.
if you use 660 it will cost less but you will need more power.

deep red looks really good when scanning and has a good colour match but light reds looks brighter in general.

flecom

deep red looks really good when scanning and has a good colour match but light reds looks brighter in general.

the problem with 660 is you just need SO much of it, plus its got huge fat beams... I have 2W of 660 that is about as visible as 550mW 642nm...

I personally dont like <642... starts looking too orange (635 for example) but 642 is a nice mix of both perceived brightness and nice looking red color

Absolutely right.. In my experience far less green is necessary than red or blue. I've got a decent blend from 500mW of 445nm, 500mW of 660nm and 150mW of 532nm.. I could use another 100mW or so of green, but a little goes a LONG way.

the problem with 660 is you just need SO much of it, plus its got huge fat beams... I have 2W of 660 that is about as visible as 550mW 642nm...

I personally dont like <642... starts looking too orange (635 for example) but 642 is a nice mix of both perceived brightness and nice looking red color

yes you need more of it but the beams are not fat.

if build correctly you can get 1watt of 660nm with a beam of 2mm by 3mm @ 1mR.

now you tell me thats not good?

combine two in a cube and you have 2watts of 660nm with a beam of 3mm by 3mm @ 1mR

flecom

yes you need more of it but the beams are not fat.

if build correctly you can get 1watt of 660nm with a beam of 2mm by 3mm @ 1mR.

now you tell me thats not good?

combine two in a cube and you have 2watts of 660nm with a beam of 3mm by 3mm @ 1mR

if you used prisms to correct the beam... or a cylindrical lens perhaps... but most of the high power red diodes give you a pretty large square beam

i know i didnt mention beams on multi mode diodes, i was talking about 660 diodes.

flecom

i know i didnt mention beams on multi mode diodes, i was talking about 660 diodes.

I know? I have a pair of 1W 660nm CNI lasers and they have huge square beams... (5x8mm according to their datasheet)

unless you know of some diodes I dont?

short of using LOC's or open-cans at ~250mW each or whatever they do and combining a bunch of them... all the high power diodes output pretty huge beams as far as I am aware, if I'm wrong (and honestly, I would like to be wrong) please show me some with better beam specs :D

Last edited:

flecom