Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

building a red dvd burner laser!

Those are indeed the same. I bought a set and have already loaded 9 of them with diodes. The only reason the 10th isn't loaded yet is because it was cut too small, and the laser diode won't fit. :(

oh wow, thanks for pointing out that ebay, I'm buying a pack of 10 now, since I have bluray doides on the way as well.

Gazoo

They do not come with the silver focusing ring anymore as far as I am aware of. If they don't, a rubber grommet will work nicely. Just slip it over the front and there you go...

you mean the line module has the normal lens PLUS the line lens? which means it's better for the $$?

awsome! good point out!

well... it appears I blew my LD?

not even an LED, nothing comes out of it (or so I think)

what appears to have happened is the + and - AT the laser diode had touched, would that kill an LD?

It might still be alive normaly when they die they turn to about the brightness of an led almost all of the time they dont die completely ie no light at all.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Being an idiot with soldering the last time I tried my homemade laser, can you use conductive glue without any problems?

JECS

doubtful. id rather just go with a little plug that the ld fits into and then add something to bleed the circuit so, just in case it comes out and you decide to just stick it back, in it wont get a jolt.

Well, I plan on the Aixiz module and the red diode inside it but the legs need to be soldered. I was hoping that you can just use an alternative like conductive glue. That way I can avoid soldering altogether unless I get a drive and disassemble it. Last time I'm almost certain that I killed the diode with the heat of the soldering iron. Hopefully I can get the same diode or better on its own.

i don't know, my 180watt soldering gun got my red diode really hot and didn't kill it

i mean damn, i couldn't hold it, it was too hot to touch.

JECS

one thing you can do is mount the ld in a heatsink so it is less likely fry when soldering it (i didnt bother doing this my first 2 times and it worked fine), or use some alligator clips on the diode leads so that it draws the heat away from the diode. those little "helping hands" things work good. another thing would be putting the solder on the wire first, then reheating it and then putting it to the diode leads rather than heating the diode while waiting for the solder to melt. if you dont want to solder at alli say just grab a junk vcr and salvage some of the little pugs from the circuit boards. right now im using a battery pack from an rc car.

I think I'm gonna try it with an aixiz module in a maglite and use conductive glue. I really want it to fit all the way inside and work out a way to use the twist-on/off on the maglite. All depends on the side of the aixiz module, it's been ages since I had one but I think it'll fit.

Does anybody have precise dimensions of the aixiz module and all of its parts? I need diameter, circumfrance, length of whole unit, length of unit unscrewed...the whole lot if anyone can!