Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Building a powerful burning laser

caleb

I have seen many videos on youtube on building a powerful burning laser out of a DVD burner. Can anyone tell me more imformation on this and where could I buy laser diodes cheaply over the internet.
I was also wandering, could you put a DVD burner laser diode in a cheap 5mw green laser of the internet and turn the power thing up (some screw, also seen on youtube).

Things

Welcome to the forum! Take a peek over at the experiments and mods section, everything you need to know to build a high powered red is in there! All required parts can be bought from http://sales.stonetek.org

And there is no point in putting a DVD burner laser in a 5mw green :-? although overpowering a 5mW green isnt that good an idea either.

Kenom

the optics and driver in a green are not compatible with a red laser diode from a DVD-Rw there is completely different focal lengths on the greens than there are for reds so that's not an option.