Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building a ND:YAG from eBay parts

OK, well I was looking at the local gig listings on Craigslist when I came across this ad:
Build an Nd:YAG Laser Marking Sys
(I swear I wasn't searching for laser related posts:whistle:)
I only wish I had the skill and resources to take this gig...
Best job listing I've ever seen!
Anyway, I posted this link because I know there are a few people here that could possibly fit the bill.
Additionally, it got me to thinking about the hundreds of listings I've seen on eBay over the years. You know the ones I'm talking about, the surplus old and or broken industrial/medical lasers that once cost more than a new car but are now being sold as-is for just a few hundred or thousand dollars. All they need is a laser hobbiest with the dedication and resources, willing to invest some time and money (at least that's the way I imagine it).
How many of these listings that are being sold as-is since the seller "does not have the proper equipment to test it" are a good deal or are they just saying that knowing full well it's so trashed that not even God could fix it?
Also, who here's taken the plunge on one of these fixer-uppers, and if so... How did it go?