Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

building a LPM/How an ophir head looks on the inside.

I've been busy a few weeks back, building a lpm using an ophir head I got. I bought 6 heads of which only one had an undamaged coating. I plan to recoat the 5 and build an lpm with the 6th. It has 1mW resolution, around 1 sec risetime and a max of 5W.

These ophir OEM heads are really easy to work with, all the amplification is done on the boards. Adustments for the gain and offset are accesible at the back of the sensor. The sensor disk itself is pretty nice to see, the radially distributed thermocouples are directly on the metal sensor disk (The photos of the opened thermopile head are of a head that needed a recoating).
The heat generated by the laser heats up the central part of the disk. The outside part of the disk is in good contact with the case. The thermocouples run between these area's.
The part number is identical to the 20C-A-1-Y head and the output is 1mV/1mW. Only the offset required a bit of adjustment, but this may be because of the supply voltage of +/- 9V.

The readout is just a good panel meter powered by a 7805. Two 9V batteries provide the power for the ophir head and the readout. I put a BNC output at the back so that I can connect it to other measurement devices. Making this readout really was very easy but fun to do none the less. And because of the size it's sort of handheld. If anyone also has an ophir head and wants to build a lpm feel free to ask anything, I'll share what I know.

Attachments

• dscf1637_s.jpg
    dscf1637_s.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 460
  • dscf1634_s.jpg
    dscf1634_s.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 587
  • dscf2134_s.jpg
    dscf2134_s.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 487
  • dscf2129_s.jpg
    dscf2129_s.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 392
  • dscf1883_cs.jpg
    dscf1883_cs.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 447
  • dscf1888_s.jpg
    dscf1888_s.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 372

I tried tracing the PCB lines of the amplifier circuit, but without desoldering some components I can't trace every line.
The pinout was easy to determine, just a symmetric power supply and a calibrated voltage comes out. I now have a different ophir head connected to a lab psu and lab multimeter, I recoated it and I'm going to build a new lpm.

I tried tracing the PCB lines of the amplifier circuit, but without desoldering some components I can't trace every line.
The pinout was easy to determine, just a symmetric power supply and a calibrated voltage comes out. I now have a different ophir head connected to a lab psu and lab multimeter, I recoated it and I'm going to build a new lpm.
Don't forget to show us the finished LPM when you get it done...

Jerry

Last edited:
Yeah it's easy when all the hard work is already done for you in regards to the sensor. Shame that huge mass of piles was snapped up by someone who doesn't want to share at a reasonable price.

Bluefan: Your meter looks nice and tidy on the outside, the metal box makes it look quite heavy-duty

Last edited: