Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building a Blue (HD DVD) Laser

Hi...I'm new here and new to laser buiding in general, and I want to build a blue laser.
I heard that the diodes of HD DVD drives are "really" blue, unlike blu-ray diodes, and that some do have a very high output (around 200mW?)

I've seen a couple of guides on how to build a driver and so on, and I was wondering if there is a certain Brand you can recommend. Also I'm looking for places to buy from, and because I'm in europe I woulld prefer shops in europe due to shipping cost and times.

I don't know how to figure out how many ohm's the resistor and potentiometer need to have and all that...

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help me out :)

diachi

HD DVDs are not blue, they are violet, same as Blu-Ray .

You can buy a PHR-803T diode from the BST section on this forum :) You can also buy a driver there to.

-Adam

Oh. So are there any cheap diodes that are actually blue?

Also is such a 100-125mW diode capable of igniting matches, fireworks and the likes?

Alternatively, where could I get a green laser between 100 and 200 mW and driver for it? Or instructions what parts to use to build my own driver.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

An LPF member (Sandstone11) represents this site: http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cplist.asp?catid=375

Her prices for green lasers are quite reasonable and they come with a driver attached.

Also, 100-125mW will pop balloons and light matches, but I doubt it would light fireworks. You could try, though, if you focus the beam down it might work..

diachi

ElektroFreak said:
An LPF member (Sandstone11) represents this site: http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cplist.asp?catid=375

Her prices for green lasers are quite reasonable and they come with a driver attached.

Also, 100-125mW will pop balloons and light matches, but I doubt it would light fireworks. You could try, though, if you focus the beam down it might work..

It can light fireworks. I've seen FireMyLaser do it with his BR.

-Adam

Kukumber said:
Oh. So are there any cheap diodes that are actually blue?

Also is such a 100-125mW diode capable of igniting matches, fireworks and the likes?

Alternatively, where could I get a green laser between 100 and 200 mW and driver for it? Or instructions what parts to use to build my own driver.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

None, unless you have >2000 dollars. ;D Theres no green diodes (at least for us) that "exist". Kipkay said its blu not blue because he didn't want people to say: "its not violet because its not from a blu-ray player" ;)

Edited: Ok I guess I'm looking for a green laser around 125mW then.
Any cheaper ones than from 0-like.com? $105 is ok, but you'd still need some sort of housing.

If you want to light stuff up, start with a red.

As stated before, you wont be able to get a green/blue diode. It's IR through a crystal set. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Kukumber said:
Hmm...

I guess I'd need around 200 or more mW to light up Fireworks?
Are there any cheaper green diodes around? [highlight]$270 is a little hefty[/highlight]  :-[

The site that I mentioned earlier has 120-150mW modules for $105. I'm not sure if this is enough power for you, but as a rule if you want high power it pretty much always comes at a high price.. These days you can figure around $1.00/mW for green modules..

Also, green lasers don't come as diodes, but as modules since they have a more complex method for generating green light. If you want something that'll burn stuff, and won't cost you a lot, get one of the red "Dilda" lasers sold on o-like. They're only $45, pretty powerful, and already built. Then after you've started your addiction you can worry about burning out $20 diodes when you try to make your own.

diachi

Stianbl said:
If you want to light stuff up, start with a red.

As stated before, you wont be able to get a green/blue diode. It's IR through a crystal set. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yeah. That's called DPSS an acronym for Diode Pumped Solid State. What basically happens is IR laser light is pumped into a set of crystals which change the wavelength of the IR light into other , usually visible laser light. Although there are IR DPSS lasers out there too, as well as visible.

The process of the DPSS conversion is not very efficient, at 15-30% for green and 1-5% for 473nm Blue.

The IR pump and the inefficiency of the crystals is also one of the reasons DPSS lasers emit IR and usually need an IR filter.

-Adam

A typical Bluray pointer costs about $75 in parts.

$20 PHR803 in module
$20 flexdrive
$20 heatsink
$10 host
$5 batteries

Thats building it yourself.

Like people said above, get a green or red from o-like. You'll spend about the same amount or less and not have to build it yourself.

I think I'll go with the 125-150mW green one then.
I have only 2 more questions:
What kind of batteries does this one take? AA?
And where can I buy a fitting housing?

Thanks a lot for all the advice already :)

Watch out though. Those green laser pens often don't provide adequate heat dissipation, so you can only keep it on for so long before it needs to be cooled down.