Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building a 150-200 mW?

Hi all,

I'm new to lasers above 5mW and building lasers, but I'd like to get my hands on a more powerful 532nm laser. I've been reading around the forums for a few days now, and was thinking of buying a laser at first, but I can't find the specs I want for the price I want.

I'd like a stable beam with less than 1.2 mRAD divergence in a decent host (RPL) with good heatsinking, ideally for under $300. Id' also like it to be IR filtered if possible.

I looked at these:
Optotronics Green Pen Pointers
Premium +150mW Green Laser Pointer
Price: US $196.00

Laser Pointers - Green Laser Pointer by SKYlasers
150 mW Green Laser Pointer
Special Price: $299.99

Also liked the sound of the Nova Alpha, but it's a bit over budget!

Can anyone help me decide weather to buy or build? Would it be fairly easy to build a laser with the specs I'm looking for, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a ready built laser?

ZRTMWA

Since no one else is answering I'll take a shot, from one noob to another. I've heard many good things about the Opto Premium +150mW Green Laser Pointer. SKYlasers seems way overpriced. Most of the time with green lasers it is cheaper to buy but you can try buying through the forums in the Buy, Sell, Trade Section. With Red and Blu Ray most of the time it is cheaper to build, at least on higher power builds if you get a 6x diode from a DVD Burner (Blu Ray) sled and a driver, host ect.. So Bite the Bullet.

Thanks for the reply and advice ZRTMWA.

I'm also starting to thing it may be better to bite!

I agree the sky laser products seem a bit over priced, but after a bit of digging I'm thinking for the amount they are over-spec, might justify the extra... for instance, someone posted a review of their 200mW green, which had a measured average output of around 270 mW!!

I think I'd probably be happy with their 100 mW, if that's anything to go by... as usual though, the budget keeps creeping up lol.

Its *only* $399, and for that I get what appears to be a "real" focus adjustment (so should be a nice tight beam), constant output (no duty cycle), massive output, and a top notch pump-diode/host (making it good for dropping in a more powerful module at a later date, when they come down in price, I guess).

Also liking the look of the Spartan series 150 mW over at DL
Green Handheld Laser 532nm Spartan Series 30mW to 300mW :: Handheld Lasers :: Dragon Lasers

Too many killer lasers around... arghhh!

If you are looking to build your own, I'd reccomend using an O-like module, or just buying a laser from O-like. Their lasers do not have the beam divergence you are looking for though, but they are still great quality lasers.

You will never go wrong with Opto, my vote is for the 150mW pen :D

Appreciate the thoughts guys.

I think I will be buying rather than building.

I was tempted by the Opto, but it has a duty cycle (I know people say this isn't an issue, but they are probably shortening the lifespan of the diode) and the operational temperature range is not that good.

I'm seriously considering going for the Sky Lasers 200 mW, which is way over my budget (F**k it - its only 300 bucks over!), but that thing is a monster... If the optics were removed it could be interesting too :D

I'm going to contact Sky Lasers and ask them one or two questions...

Longer? What would I be looking at?

Thanks. Going to check out the thread/s now.

I just sent a message over to Sky Lasers, so will see what they have to say.

I got the reply I wanted.

Divergence at minimum is <1.2 mrad, and beam is <2mm, which is not the best, but I think it'll be fine.

Laser ordered :D

The 200 mW from Sky Lasers.

I'm happy. I don't think I'd be able to build one with the same specs, even though it would be cheaper. As far as I can see, no one has even tested the o-like modules.

cust11

There has been tons of testing on the o-like modules! BrewcCityMusic, Daguin, Jayrob, etc

-Mike

Yes, and you could've just asked Susie about them, she always tells the truth about her products.

Hope you enjoy the greenie :)

ZRTMWA

I actually e-mailed her about those 200mW modules July 30 and she hasn't responded. When I emailed her a few weeks ago about the 130-150mW module she responded within the day.