Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Build/Tut] Sinner's MS-V4 Square-II Custom Build "RED STORM" 650nm

sinner

[Build/Tut] Sinner's MS-V4 Square-II Custom Build "RED STORM" 650nm

bK4dhaV.jpg

Been a long time since I have built a laser, Today I scavenged a red diode the good ole fashioned way from a dvd buner optical pickup. Also I thought it would be a nice way to describe the innards and building process of the V4 Square-II Host..

The Diode is an open-can diode similar to 815's.. Strangely enough I had plenty of X-Boosts and Buck drives but nothing that could run this type of diode, So I decided to go all the way back to the begining of time, Driver is a DIY 101 LM317 EpicDrive @400mA LPM'ed at 255mW (Acrylic) and 315mW (G2)

Lets start from all the parts one by one..

TxVra8M.jpg

Khcn4fe.jpg

5OznqFh.jpg

KHe0RXD.jpg

Fv8Ybz6.jpg

Fbu1iGC.jpg

jqw742S.jpg

lqBzLHe.jpg

F4c8V9V.jpg

PsFaHun.jpg

qfmOsBf.jpg

jSO6bQI.jpg

7L8DpLt.jpg

MHy1pbG.jpg

iqCBLs3.jpg

RD4wSIE.jpg

MBjbcDA.jpg

3KVTyJB.jpg

f6HkLPt.jpg

gkNwG4A.jpg

Made it to the custom army of lasers!
BoA5JWp.jpg

:thanks: for looking​

Man that last picture is beautiful. Awesome going old school DVD style! Getting nostalgic on us sinner?

Haha really nice! I just posted a mini red build from a DVD burner the other day, looks like they've become fashionable again! ;) :beer:

sinner

Man that last picture is beautiful. Awesome going old school DVD style! Getting nostalgic on us sinner?
True, I was trying to reconnect the past.. That, and I had given away the reds one by one and had none for quite some time..

I am just loving the super tight beam and awesome beam divergence on this one, I'll be keeping it!

Haha really nice! I just posted a mini red build from a DVD burner the other day, looks like they've become fashionable again! ;) :beer:

It is a fashion on it's own merrits.. Seriously there are a lot of things this Class 3B laser offers that no other Class IV laser has , the color is still the classic and beam divergence is off the charts!

Whats the second one from the left it is FAT

This laser http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/b...tom-host-18350x2-2-3a-build-thread-84371.html

It is a fashion on it's own merrits.. Seriously there are a lot of things this Class 3B laser offers that no other Class IV laser has , the color is still the classic and beam divergence is off the charts!

Yup have to agree there, I too noticed the beam profile was excellent. :) I also tried to send you some Rep, but Ive got to spread some first...Enjoy your latest addition to the family! ;) :beer:

Last edited:

gismo

Some much goodness coming from your side lately, sinner:D. And that's the way it should be!

The gallery does the explanation quite nice, so it does:gj:.

P.S. All I really need in the future are the four Magic sticks in the last pic, starting from the left (except the first one I already own). Uhm, edit: I want them all asap...:D

@ sinner
sir, resistor is 2.7 ohms 1 watt ?????. And your build is rock solid

Last edited:

NKO29

^ that'd be about right for that current :)
And great job sinner, i LOVE your work! :beer:

sinner

I hope this would explain building process too, still If anyone has any questions feel free to pm :thanks:

Yup have to agree there, I too noticed the beam profile was excellent. :) I also tried to send you some Rep, but Ive got to spread some first...Enjoy your latest addition to the family! ;) :beer:

After looking at your build , Amc7135 is exactly what I needed for this.. Thanks for that idea, I dont think there are any other amc7135 alternatives for lets say 400 , 450 , 500ma .. The only one i could find are 380ma ones..

Some much goodness coming from your side lately, sinner:D. And that's the way it should be!

The gallery does the explanation quite nice, so it does:gj:.

P.S. All I really need in the future are the four Magic sticks in the last pic, starting from the left (except the first one I already own). Uhm, edit: I want them all asap...:D

I got you covered on that one, much appreciated.. :beer: All of these should be in stock by next couple of weeks..

@ sinner
sir, resistor is 2.7 ohms 1 watt ?????. And your build is rock solid

Yes it is, and giving out 450ma sorry about the typo..

^ that'd be about right for that current :)
And great job sinner, i LOVE your work! :beer:

I aim to please , Glad you like it :thanks: for the review too..

After looking at your build , Amc7135 is exactly what I needed for this.. Thanks for that idea, I dont think there are any other amc7135 alternatives for lets say 400 , 450 , 500ma .. The only one i could find are 380ma ones..

I guess it depends if you want a 2 or 1 bat option, but you are right you are limited by the current. Fasttech has both the 350 and 380 mA AMC chips. Perhaps for your next build ;) you could play with 2 chips and a resistor? :thinking::beer:

Last edited:

sinner

I definitely wanted a single batt, but my options are limited when using the high dropout linear driver and It even generates more heat than the diode even at low currents like this, 350-380nm is perfectly fine for me, The red isnt going to get any brighter and 380ma would still be enough for a long life..