Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Broken 405nm. What to do

yawnny

Couple weeks ago I ordered a blue laser from some via Ebay from some outfit in China. Typical 301 tube, just under $5 with no battery, or other accessories.

I received it yesterday. At first it put out the prettiest, tightest blue spot, but with each progressive activation of the laser, the spot got larger and more blurry, until it n o longer light up at all.

Sent the guy an email. Got response back, he wants pictures of the laser not working. WTF??? Should I send a pic of me with a sad face, holding his laser?

Anyway, for $5 I'm not looking to put a lot of effort into resolving this. Are there any things I could try with it--rapping it on the counter--whatever?

Should I just leave a bad review, and order another one from another seller? Excuse the dumb questions, but this is my first bad unit.

Sta

Unfortunately there is very little you can do. These people know they are selling bad units so the don't want to refund anyone. You should just buy another 405 that isn't a 301 or a cheap pen. :)

Hi,
Maybe ask him to replace it or you will be forced to give a bad feedback, but be cordial about it and in a stern manner. They usually come through good luck ..

Rich:)

GSS

Those 301 are focusable, have you tried the focus knob?
Just saw that you last mentioned not putting any light out now. Still though those 405nm are not at all bright to begin with but
could possibly be so spread out that I would still try the focus.

Last edited:

SyKo

Doesnt sound that crazy to be asked for some sort of proof, hell its reassuring if the person atleasts sends a picture of the dot coming from the crapped out laser other wise for all they know you just want your laser like we all want them, 'free'.

It might just be me but whenever a laser diode goes into LED mode (dies) especially a 405 it typically gives off a differently shaped dot.

yawnny

Doesnt sound that crazy to be asked for some sort of proof, hell its reassuring if the person atleasts sends a picture of the dot coming from the crapped out laser other wise for all they know you just want your laser like we all want them, 'free'.

It might just be me but whenever a laser diode goes into LED mode (dies) especially a 405 it typically gives off a differently shaped dot.

The different shaped dot is exactly what happened. Initially the dot was pin point, needle sharp. Way more defined than any of the handful of other green, and reds that I have. Then all the sudden, fuzzier, and fuzzier till nothing.

I guess at the very least I could send him a picture of it doing nothing, but you only have a month (yes?) to leave feedback.

I get that they are mass produced, and duds do happen, and for $5 I'd prolly order from the same guy again. It's not like I do anything mission critical with them, but would like other buyers to know, if there is more than a casual pattern to faulty units coming from a single vendor.

It's a common thing with lasers that cheap, although it happens more with 532nm green than with other lasers. My advice is don't buy cheap lasers.

Alan

Hi, sorry to hear about your laser , but PI is right you get what you pay for . Good luck and i hope it works out for you pal..

Rich:)

Sta

It's a common thing with lasers that cheap, although it happens more with 532nm green than with other lasers. My advice is don't buy cheap lasers.

Alan

There is nothing wrong with cheap lasers, but the 301s and the cheap pens are the worst offenders. The 850/851 hosts are much better starter lasers. :)

diachi

Alan

That's not been my experience when it comes to 301s. I've had two 405s, one was DOA and the other died after ~5 minutes. Out of 3x 532 301s none are dead yet.

But yes, that's the risk you take with cheap lasers! :(

Last edited:

yawnny

Alan

Oh, I would agree with you in the case of most items, but I can't justify paying any more for an item that I haul out a couple of times a year to look at the dot.

Someday I might decide that I need real quality lasers for some purpose, and I'll be willing to drop more than a couple of bucks on one.

Until then, I'll take my chance with bargain basement lasers. I was just hoping there might be some easy to accomplish remedy for misbehaving cheapos, to save the hassle of having to deal with a return to a foreign supplier. That not being the case, I have already sent a picture of the laser not working :) to the seller, and also ordered a new one.

Just throw it away, those lasers dont have any QA anyways and for 5$ its a gamble, my own experience i have bought a few and all works good but that doesnt matter, if u want a good quality laser u need sadly spend more then 5$ even tho if lucky u dont need spend more on those 301 if u get a decent one working..

AaronT

I have a set of the 303 lasers and 2 sets of the "5mW" pens I got off E-bay.

I have received bad pens but the seller offered to replace them, even sending several lasers of the wrong color. (As a result I have 2 sets one of oddball pens and one of all identical but different color pens.) Till he got it right.

It is not strange for these China sellers to ask for pics of a problem that can't be visually verified or would look the same with any product turned off.

If you go through all the steps E-bay has for buyers to make claims either

A. The seller does something to make it right. (Replacement, partial refund, extra/wrong replacement items etc) Tell you are satisfied.
B. Ebay issues a full refund.

The way I see it is E-bay is buyer beware but if you jump through the hoops everything comes with a 30 day warranty that takes up to 2 months to "pay out".

I also don't leave feedback tell I have had a possibly defective/not as advertised item at least 2 weeks.

Last edited: