Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

broken 100mw green viper, need help to replace, or remake the circuit board

last year i lost my favorite laser in the woods, it was a 95mw green viper that had cost me almost $200 , and just a couple of months ago i found it. it was in surprisingly good condition, except for the circuit board, which had accumulated lime and calcium and no longer worked. i am pretty sure the diode is still usable, but if anyone thinks that it isn't, please state your opinion.

also i was hoping someone could help me to try and make, or buy (cheaply) a new circuit board for it.

thanks a lot!

If the circuit board picked up residual from the elements, chances are that the crystals did too, the diode can's window may have, there could be stuff on the optics ...

I believe Jayrob has done complete teardown/tuneups on greens in the past, maybe if you PM him he would be willing to take a look-see for a nominal charge, personally, I wouldn't try and tackle it unless you really know what you're doing with DPSS lasers

Yeah worst case scenario, the internals are useless but you can use the host for a cool looking new project (you may even be able to stick an O-Like module in there).

Benm

I doubt the optics and crystals are still good, but you can always try to find out.

The best quick test would be to remove the circuit board, and power the diode directly from a constant current source at whatever the normal current for this pointer is.

I agree, Benm - as I said above, there are a bunch of different scenarios that could occur with a laser outside for a few months (most bad, unfortunately!) but getting the proper power to the diode would be a great place to start. I just sold a 50mW module with a bad diode or I'd have just sent you the driver board to mess with - why not start a "WTB" thread for a green driver on the Buy-Sell-Trade board?