Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

broke the diode in 75mw greenie

husker1

I've had a 75 mw cni laser for two years and recently after taking it apart and lack of knowledge, the diode is no longer working. I know the driver works because i soldered a cheap red diode and it worked. So i figure i broke the ir laser diode from it in the process of taking it apart. So, now i have everything but a working diode for my laser. Any advice on how to proceed from here. I dont want to spend a bunch on a new 75 mw module. Could i upgrade by adding a hd dvd diode to the board? I've read the pages of information and am now ready to rebuild.

husker1

Maybe i want to stay with a green beam because of its high visibility. maybe just a higheroutput diode with the green crystal i already have?

You need at least a 200-500mW 5.6mm 808nm Diode for a 75mW laser pointer module. It needs to be 808nm to work in a green laser. DVD/CD/BluRay diodes will not work.

husker1

where do i go about getting one of those. and is that the rest route to just another ir diode to it?

husker1

my laser diode looks nothing like those. its looks more like a c-mount. but the hole in the middle isnt as big. the c mount is screwed down to a round disk.

husker1

so if the c-mount is rated at 500mw, what kind of power will i be able to get out of my laser now?

husker1

the same ebay company sells a 1000mw 808nm laser diode C-mount with fast Axis Lens. what do you guys think about that

FireMyLaser

The cni lasers use a 500mW pump, so you'll get ~75mW of green.
If you use 1000mW the chances are that the crystals will get burned or cracked because they're not so efficient.

husker1 said:
the same ebay company sells a 1000mw 808nm laser diode C-mount with fast Axis Lens. what do you guys think about that
The crystal will overstaurate and crack.

mliptack

Did you adjust the pot at all? Thats the way I ruined my 5mw 532nm laser. (the first greenie I owned)

Replacing the diode might be difficult. If you had a hard time getting it apart without ruining the diode, I figure you might have a similarly difficult time putting it back together without damaging it. The best advice I can give is use some static discharge protection and take your time!