Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brits, Czechs Super Laser

"claim world's most powerful 'super laser'"

A team of British and Czech scientists on Tuesday said they had successfully tested a "super laser" they claim is 10 times more powerful than any other of its kind on the planet.

The so-called "high peak power laser" has a 1,000-watt average power output, a benchmark of sustained, high-energy pulses.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-01-brits-czechs-world-powerful-super.html#jCp

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing...

When I read the article I was wondering how this one compared to the NIF. It seems this one has an average power much higher than most.

Upgrade time?

Rivem

Cool article! I guess this goes more into weapons-class lasers until they can find a different application though.

It wouldn't be suitable for most of the current scientific and industrial applications lasers fill currently.

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing...

When I read the article I was wondering how this one compared to the NIF. It seems this one has an average power much higher than most.

Upgrade time?

For fusion ignition lasers, the goal is a huge peak power output. It doesn't really matter (yet) how much average power they can produce.

I would expect a website named "phys.org" to have a more technical explanation.

What is the peak power?
What is the technology based on?
What is the intended application?
What is the energy per pulse?
What is the repetition rate?
What is the output wavelength?
Is it single beam or multiple beam?

How can they expect to sell this if they won't disclose what it actually is?

"10 times more powerful" sounds impressive until they qualify that with "than others in its class." It's even more shifty when they define only two others in this made-up class of theirs, and then explain how it is completely different than the others in its class. WTF does that even mean?

I'm sure the laser is great. But the article is some shitty reporting.

Last edited:

BobMc

I guess if I was to ask them to put it in a handheld I probably not get an answer back. :(

I would expect a website named "phys.org" to have a more technical explanation.

What is the peak power?
What is the technology based on?
What is the intended application?
What is the energy per pulse?
What is the repetition rate?
What is the output wavelength?
Is it single beam or multiple beam?

How can they expect to sell this if they won't disclose what it actually is?

"10 times more powerful" sounds impressive until they qualify that with "than others in its class." It's even more shifty when they define only two others in this made-up class of theirs, and then explain how it is completely different than the others in its class. WTF does that even mean?

I'm sure the laser is great. But the article is some shitty reporting.

Phys.org doesn't go into detail, it's only intent is to give a brief report. Usually at the end of an article is a link which does lead to more technical reporting.