Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Break in. A reminder to make sure your doors are locked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayJay

So...

This morning when my girlfriend woke up she came back into the bedroom and asked me if i had left the back door open last night as it was wide open.. I said i hadn't.. Then i started to get worried..
So i got up and we started looking around the house and started to notice some things were missing..

First was my girlfriends Asus Ultrabook that she just bought for herself in a end of financial year sale only a week ago, then was my old xbox 360 and a pair of turtle beach headphones that were sitting next to them.
Next was a HEAP of blurays (about 60) that were in a pile next to the xbox and headphones..
My girlfriends old PS2 slim was next.. She had that for sentimental reasons.
Now.. To the most painful part.
They stole my metal lockbox suitcase with 90% of my lasers in it... :cryyy:
It had my Rigel 6, My very overspec aquarius 473, My Warnlasers 500mW storm, most of my customs and my ophir 20c head...
The only lasers i am left with are the ones i had sitting on the shelf that didn't have a place in the box and one i had in the bedroom with me.

So i am left with a total of 2 handhelds, 1 hobby box and an empty host. :wave:
And the only reason 3 of those 4 were not in the box was because i have only bought them off someone on here recently.. The last one is the one i keep next to my bed.

Oh, they also got my girlfriends purse and my wallet with some cash in them.. Including $400 i got out yesterday to pay for something i was "going" to get today..

They also took my 10 inch telescope from the back porch.. That is almost as upsetting as my lasers.

The suitcase was locked and i think the only reason i think they took it was because it looked expensive.. I bet you when they get it open they throw away the ophir head and break the lasers in no time by running them past their duty cycles...

I actually came close to tears before.. I just cannot believe they are gone.
So i have spent most of the morning at the police station. I haven't told them about the lasers just in case.. I wouldn't want to get into trouble as well as getting broken into..

Anyway, Just letting you all know so you remember to check that your doors and windows are locked EVERY NIGHT! And from now on my next laser box is living under my bed.

And to the M****R F*****S Who broke into my house...Just hope to Christ i don't find you.. :gun:

Also, If anyone want's an Xbox One console for AUD$400 let me know as i really need the money now. It is in the B/S/T. I put it up a few days ago but now i really need to sell it.

Thanks Guys.

Oh man that sux... I hate thieves I hope that they flick one if those lasers on while looking straight down the lens.

*sigh* really don't understand why people have to steal. Can they not get a job and buy their own things themselves? Freakin pisses me off D:

Anyway, goodluck with the sale of your Xbox One & I hope you re-build your collection soon :)

-Alex

sinner

I hope that scumbag get served for what he deserve. Sorry to hear the loss of laser stuff that sucks Big-Time.

Sorry to hear that RayJay. No place is safe from this and locked doors wont stop them. I had this happen to me three times in my lifetime.

This is how some criminals make their living and your stuff ends up sold online or in a pawn shop somewhere.

Only a monitored security system can protect you, also here in the US some people have signs that indicate that they are gun owners.

Such as:

This home protected by Smith and Wesson

This home protected by the second amendment

This home protected by the good LORD and a SHOTGUN come in uninvited and you will meet BOTH

These type of signs help in areas where gun ownership is legal. You can buy these signs from many online stores and eBay.

Alan

Last edited:

IsaacT

I am sorry to hear about that Ray. I am always paranoid about locking my doors and it sucks that it has to be that way. My lasers live in a box under my bed.

So does my .45 Springfield Armory 1911.

If people want to try to take my lasers let them try. OFC there are more important things. I am glad that you and your girlfriend are safe. You may want to look up a few things and apply them in your search of these scoundrels.

1. The thieves probably do not live far from you.
2. Check for footprints by your back door?
3. Check and see if you see any lasers at night. If they are stupid enough to play with them I bet you could find them.

Good luck. I hope you get your things back. It is a terrible thing to lose everything one worked towards because some jackasses dont know how to work themselves.

Thats tough Man. People work hard for the things they get and to have some low life scum invade the privacy of your home and take your stuff just sucks. There are many cheap but affective self installed alarm systems available on the market. GET ONE. I have worked in the Security Industry for a huber of years and there is a chance that they, knowing you will be buying "New Stuff" might come back! If you get a loud audible alarm chances are they will just bolt and you won't ever have them back again. but if you want to sort them out Properly so that they will never want to break in anywhere again then get one that can be set so that only you will here it!
Unfortunately not only does Australia have stupid Laser laws but we have even more stupid Gun Laws that are not working anyway!

This bothers me on a very basic level. I think it would with a lot of people here, as we're all builders and researchers and collectors - in other words, we kinda put a lot into our hobby here, so the idea of someone just "taking shit" is disturbing.

My neighbors hate the fact that I have security lights and stuff -- but, we've had some close calls here with people definitively being chased off at 4am who were trying to get into things they weren't supposed to.

I absolutely think these are people who think they 'deserve' to just take these things. I know condolences don't help much, but ... I think we can all hope that somehow these guys would be found.

As far as "turning it on while looking down the lens" - that's actually kind of likely, since they 'look like a flashlight', its actually more likely than *not* to the uninitiated. So, there may be some instant karma in store here.

Last edited:
As far as "turning it on while looking down the lens" - that's actually kind of likely, since they 'look like a flashlight', its actually more likely than *not* to the uninitiated. So, there may be some instant karma in store here.

With that said and the fact that they probably don't live far, RayJay, if you're on good terms with your doctor, maybe you can probably arrange for him to keep an open ear for unusual hospital admissions regarding laser induced eye damage and let you know? Or if you know anybody in the local hospital/s, you could probably have some leads fast.

Could probably work out real fast if that's the case, as long as you can explain to your doctor exactly what happened and how much money the stuff that got stolen costs.

BTW, as far as I know, you can be honest with the police, simply owning the lasers doesn't prove you are actively using them, so as long as you keep it in in the tone of "I have them for collection but never use them", everything should be cool. I COULD be wrong through, you should probably look into law specifics.

RayJay

Thank again for all the support guys.. To be that honest the things can eventually be replaced when we save up enough again but the fact we had someone/some people in our house in the middle of the night has freaked out my gf alot. She had been saving up for a number of months for that laptop and although we both have descent jobs we also have rent and bills which don't leave us with much at the end of each fortnight. We have to save up for the things we want and to have someone just walk in take it just makes me angry.

Busman, the sad thing is that we do have an alarm. But we have dogs that get up in the middle of the night for a drink etc and if we put the alarm on it would go off whenever anything moves in the house. We always turn it on when we leave the house but never when we're at home.

isaac, the cops came around tonight and fingerprinted etc but found nothing really except a bit of mud in my "hobby room"
I have been also sitting out the front of my house looking to the skies all afternoon.. Nothing yet.. :yabbem:

RayJay

BTW, as far as I know, you can be honest with the police, simply owning the lasers doesn't prove you are actively using them, so as long as you keep it in in the tone of "I have them for collection but never use them", everything should be cool. I COULD be wrong through, you should probably look into law specifics.

Sorry for the double post but I was writing my last post while you posted that..

Being honest would not only get me into trouble but would also make me loose the other lasers too.
The law in my state clearly states that no person cannot own any laser more than 1mW unless you have a permit. And even then you can only own one up to 30mW.

Sorry for the double post but I was writing my last post while you posted that..

Being honest would not only get me into trouble but would also make me loose the other lasers too.
The law in my state clearly states that no person cannot own any laser more than 1mW unless you have a permit. And even then you can only own one up to 30mW.

Ahh crap, man.

Sorry for such a bad luck. Can't imagine what that is like.

In any event, like others already said, it's most important that nobody is hurt, or worse. These are all just things, and can be replaced, in time.

As long as your new financial situation isn't unrecoverably bad, it should all eventually be back to same old. Right?

RayJay

Ahh crap, man.

Sorry for such a bad luck. Can't imagine what that is like.

In any event, like others already said, it's most important that nobody is hurt, or worse. These are all just things, and can be replaced, in time.

As long as your new financial situation isn't unrecoverably bad, it should all eventually be back to same old. Right?

Yeah, it's not like this has bankrupted us or anything! But it will take me an incredibly long time to get my collection back to anywhere near what it was. It took me 4 years to get it to where i had it and in one night some A-Hole took it all away..
As i said, we have descent paying jobs but we rarely have any spare "spending money" and it takes us a long time to save for stuff.
The $400 i had was for a host off sinner, a diode and postage costs and it took me 6 weeks to save for that.
Some people just don't understand how hard people like us actually have to work for our "stuff". They just waltz in and take it without a second thought..

ped

All these can be replaced, be thankful they didn't wander into your bedroom high on whatever and unload a magazine, as has so often happened.

So sorry for your loss :cryyy:

Keep an eye on the night sky for someone playing with the lasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.