Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brain buster!

You see a top in the shop for $97 , but you haven't got the money , so you lend $50 off your mom and $50 off your dad equals $100 ,You buy the top and you get $3 change you give your Mom and dad $1 each and keep $1 for your self so now you owe your mom and dad $49 each ! But $49 + $49 is $98 plus the $1 you kept makes $99 so weres the missing $1?

I already worked it out but when i first seen this i was waaaay confused heheh

Enjoy :)

rhd

That's stupid, and not a brain buster at all.

You owe your mom and dad $49 + $49 = $98
You have a top worth $97 + $1 extra = $98

It all balances. Worst brain teaser ever. That's not EVEN a brain teaser, that's just a sentence ;)

Last edited:

Trevor

Top worth $97? Used?! Hardly.

The second you drive it off the lot at the dealership, it loses a lot of its value.

So you probably only have $55 or so in assets, but still owe $98... :rolleyes:

-Trevor

lol, this is how i worked it out

49 to your dad
+1 you already gave him from the change
thats his 50
------------------------------------------------------------------
this leaves you with the 2 unaccounted for coins
(48) to your mom is all you can give her and still have those 2 unaccounted for coins
witch would make 50

OK Trevor....:crackup:

But it's about a top, not a bottom/pants/skirt.
We don't need to hear about anyone's assets !

Talking that way could make you the butt of a bad joke.
:)

Trevor

OK Trevor....:crackup:

But it's about a top, not a bottom/pants/skirt.
We don't need to hear about anyone's assets !

Talking that way could make you the butt of a bad joke.
:)

Psh, my puns were top drawer. Looks like you scraped the bottom of the barrel for yours... :na:

-Trevor

Benm

I've seen the same riddle with $25, $27 and $30 (one borrows $10 of 3 people to pay for a $25 object, gives each back $1, owes them all $9 (=$27) has $2 left, 'totalling' $29.

Somehow people have much more dificulty seeing the problem with these numbers compared to borrowing $50 twice to get $100... i don't know why exactly, but it can keep people puzzled to the point of writing it all down in some cases.

rhd

I've seen the same riddle with $25, $27 and $30 (one borrows $10 of 3 people to pay for a $25 object, gives each back $1, owes them all $9 (=$27) has $2 left, 'totalling' $29.

It's still not a brain teaser.

He has an object worth $25 and currency worth $2, so he has $27 in assets.
He owes $9 to three people, so he has $27 worth of debt.

It all balances. I still don't understand why anyone thinks that any of this stuff is a brain teaser.

"owes them all $9 (=$27) has $2 left 'totalling' $29."
But you don't add a DEBT to an ASSET and come up with a total. I don't say "I owe my friend Bob $20 and I have $30 in my pocket, so I have a total of $50" That's stupid. Nobody would ever say that. Of course none of this stuff makes sense when you word it absurdly.

Is it a jewel-encrusted gyroscope? I'm happy that your parents will help you buy an educational toy like that, but they should be able to find the old potted metal kind for much cheaper.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

LOL, that look like the old joke of the 3 friends at restaurant ..... let me try to translate it in English.

There are 3 friends that go at restaurant for eat ..... the final bill is 30 Euro, so each one gives 10 Euro to the room boy, that carry it to the owner ..... the owner is a friend of the 3 clients, so decide to give them a discount, and give back 5 Euro to the room boy, that return it to the clients ..... now, they cannot divide 5 in 3 parts, so they keep one Euro each one, and left the last 2 to the room boy.

At the end, each one of them have spent 9 euro, right ? (10 given, and one taken back) ..... 3 x 9 = 27 ..... plus the 2 that they left to the room boy, is 29 ..... who disappeared the last Euro that lack for reach the original 30 ones they paid ? ..... :crackup: :p

(it's a trick, ofcourse, not math :p :D)

Last edited:

rhd

LOL, that look like the old joke of the 3 friends at restaurant ..... let me try to translate it in English.

There are 3 friends that go at restaurant for eat ..... the final bill is 30 Euro, so each one gives 10 Euro to the room boy, that carry it to the owner ..... the owner is a friend of the 3 clients, so decide to give them a discount, and give back 5 Euro to the room boy, that return it to the clients ..... now, they cannot divide 5 in 3 parts, so they keep one Euro each one, and left the last 2 to the room boy.

At the end, each one of them have spent 9 euro, right ? (10 given, and one taken back) ..... 3 x 9 = 27 ..... plus the 2 that they left to the room boy, is 29 ..... who disappeared the last Euro that lack for reach the original 30 ones they paid ? ..... :crackup: :p

(it's a trick, ofcourse, not math :p :D)

They paid a total of 3 x 9 = $27
The restaurant took $25 plus the room boy took $2 = $27

It all balances.

Honestly, I'm going to shoot myself here. I don't understand where the puzzle is?

HIMNL9

They paid a total of 3 x 9 = $27
The restaurant took $25 plus the room boy took $2 = $27

It all balances.

Honestly, I'm going to shoot myself here. I don't understand where the puzzle is?

That was my same line of think, when they said it to me ..... but some other peoples i know, passed 10 minutes making calculations, before realize the trick (that was simply saying "plus" the 2, instead "minus" the 2, after all :p :D)

It's not a trick or even a puzzle...it's accounting !

Obviously RHD has a mind for those debits and credits and the tracking of every penny...I will remember that next year at tax time !

For most people the numbers aren't as clearly identifiable as meaning different things. They just assume that all are the same, as they are numbers, and try to put it together.
A perfect example of determining who has an eye for the details and that old saying about "assuming" something.

You see a top in the shop for $97 , but you haven't got the money , so you lend $50 off your mom and $50 off your dad equals $100 ,You buy the top and you get $3 change you give your Mom and dad $1 each and keep $1 for your self so now you owe your mom and dad $49 each ! But $49 + $49 is $98 plus the $1 you kept makes $99 so weres the missing $1?

I guess it qualifies as a brain buster because I couldn't for the life of me understand why it can be considered a brain buster... I mean it all added up to me on first read:tinfoil:

Benm

It's still not a brain teaser.

He has an object worth $25 and currency worth $2, so he has $27 in assets.
He owes $9 to three people, so he has $27 worth of debt.

It all balances. I still don't understand why anyone thinks that any of this stuff is a brain teaser.

Obviously, but its also how well you tell the story. I think the good version is how himnl told it. The trick is to get people to make the wrong operation with the $2, subtracting it from the 27 to reach the before mentioned number 25, instead of recaculating the new number 29 and spotting the $1 difference with the $30.

The calculations are dead simple, its just a matter of persuading people to take the wrong path of thought, and some people will stick to that once the idea has set in their mind.

HIMNL9

Yes, basically is about "semantic trick" (hope Dave don't hear me saying this :p :D) ..... the better way is to NOT mention the number 25 at all, like, say only that the owner give them a discount of 5, so this way, one that is not paying attention is drived to think only about the numbers that you have mentioned, and get confused.

Politicians knows those tricks better than any other ones :p :D

EDIT: another trick is to intentionally confuse facts in a quick way (so the other person don't have time for think) ..... like in a very old joke that we had here in elementary school ..... saying to someone to pay attention to the numbers, and made the right multiplications, then you start "there is a big oak in your garden, and this tree have 4 main branches ..... signed 4 ? ..... ok, each main branch have 7 middle branches, then each middle branch have 5 small branches, and each small branch have 4 thin branches, and at the end of each thin branch these are 3 leafs ..... signed ? ..... also, each small branch have one leaf, and each middle branch have 5 leafs ..... signed all ? ..... ok, if under each leaf there are 2 fruits, except under the ones on middle branches, where there are 3 of them, can you calculate for me how much cherries there are in total on the tree ?" .....

Most of them usually just start to calculate, and gives you a mathematically correct reply, so then you can ask "are you sure ? ..... how much times you've seen cherries growing on an oak ?" :p :D

Last edited: