Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Boblaser sells 445nm... but what diode?

Xer0

Bob (boblaser.com) sent me a mail, that they now have 445nm Pointers (in AAA hosts too with boost driver) which range from 20-100mW and on the wep page they are advertised with 1-200mW and a TEM00 mode :confused:
Due to this spec i question, if this could be the "weaker" 50mW Nichia Diode someone offered here once, or the cheaper Beamer ones. i doubt they can set later one to 20mW, and the maxium of 100mW is speaking for the first one.

Can someone confirm?
i build a Pointer myself (jayrob pen host and olike 405nm boost driver) but the thermic behaviour is PITA. it starts with a very bright output, visible beam, maybe even more dangerous than my bros 15mW greenie (dont have a meter) and after 10sec it goes to as dimm as a cheapo keychain reddy.

If Bob uses the low-threshold stable 50mW Nichia one, i would buy that rather

ped

As far as i'm aware only high power 445nm's are available, not good running them at low power as thier horribly inneficient. It may have correction optics in to produce near TEMoo.

Don't these diodes have better beam characteristics at lower powers?

I'd not trust boblaser anyhow, they may just have an aperture to simulate a 'round dot'.

I actually wouldn't mind finding some lower power tem00 versions of these diodes.

Reactions: ped

ped

^^ very true .

Because power isnt an issue, they could just "round off" the output i suppose.

Last edited:

Xer0

Darn. any manufacturer that uses the 50mW Diodes or achieves a temperature stable low (<15mW) output for a reasonable price?

Don't these diodes have better beam characteristics at lower powers?

I'd not trust boblaser anyhow, they may just have an aperture to simulate a 'round dot'.

I actually wouldn't mind finding some lower power tem00 versions of these diodes.

They're single mode at low powers, however, they're still wide die diodes. They still output a line even single mode. If you want a dot, you either have to use corrective optics, or use an aperture to chop off the edges.

midias

Not sure on their diode but I have good luck running my a140 at 20mw.

Xer0

I dont have a meter, but now in the cold time, coming home from utside the laser is so damn bright, it must be over 100mW by eye. after a short time the power decreases until almost LED. rather short duty cycles...

Sounds like inadequate heatsinking, either for the diode, the driver, or both.