Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Bluray rocky goodness. (flourescence)

Kenom

Ok so went over to a buddies house and he's got a huge rock collection. So, I busted out the bluray and shined it on all those rocks. Wow I was blown away that out of the 200 or so rocks he had that only 1 flouresced. (spelling) but the effect was well lets just say WOW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: here you can all see a fraction of what I see. I'm trying to identify the rock though since this sample didn't have a tag. so here's what the rock looks like and then the video of the fun I'm having. I can tell you the rock looks like it's got green crystal moss on top (which doesn't light up) white rock below (I'm thinking calcite) and even a small pocket of iron pirite (fools gold) neatest thing in the world. this is where i hope daguin will chime in and say "Yes this rock is ....."

daguin

It absolutely appears to be calcite. When/if you go back over there, take a diffraction grating along (and maybe a low power bu-ray). The "blaze" from a high powered blu-ray can overpower the slight "glow" of many minerals. Turn the lights off and light the minerals again with a much "weaker" exposure to the UV light.

Peace,
dave

airy52

[media]http://www.thesellgrens.com/laserpics/kenomsings.wav[/media]

hehehehe kenom singing. so pro.