Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bluefan Budget LPM

Hey all, I recently purchased a customized Blue fan Budget LPM, and as requested by Johan(Bluefan), Here is my un-biased review.

Service
Johan was extremely helpful, He went out of his way to answer my questions and satisfy my needs. I would have liked however for him to be online more often to respond to emails and such, It sometimes took him up to 4 days to respond to my emails, But in saying that he was having power issues beyond his control, Which he did explain to me.
Rating: 8/10
Postage
After informing me that my LPM was complete. We discussed the postage options. After I had decided on which way I wanted to go(DHL, Express Mail, Normal Mail) I decided to go just with normal post. He posted it out the following night.
Rating: 9/10
Range Switch
Whilst discussing with Johan about the head and the maximum output being increased, He informed me that the TEC was actually capable of reading up to 5 Watts, It was the circuitry which limited it. He then told me he would see what he could do to increase the maximum. The following morning I woke up to an email saying that he had managed to setup a mode switch on it which would allow the LPM to read lasers of up to 5 Watts, Leaving the switch on the left let me read up to 1999mW before the LPM would zero out again, I could then switch over to the 2 - 5W range allowing me to measure higher. He did this at no extra charge which I was extremely happy about considering I offered to pay him extra $$ if need be.
Rating: 10/10
Calibration
For better accuracy, Bluefan offered to do a linear calibration at multiple wavelengths. He charged me 15 euro for this which I was ok with. Calibration certificate tells the rest:
1UJOkeW.png

Overall Product
Overall I'm really happy with this, For the money I spent, I can't complain.. I do have a project box on the way which I will be wiring up a switch, and proper battery circuits. Here's some photos:

The meter by itself. The blue readout is extremely bright. Easily visible through my OD4 Eagle Pair safety goggles.
v46qp0J.jpg

My LPC-826 Build running @ 470mAh with a G2 Lens.
PN3qX7w.jpg

I3zLUx8.jpg

70mW Laserlands 532nm module in WF-501B(Puts out around 12mW of IR)
HLYmdLN.jpg

no8ExRK.jpg

wX2tga3.jpg

Overall Rating: 8/10

Timing was 44 seconds to hit: 300mW

So all up I have a 5 Watt calibrated LPM for $147 USD. I'd recommend Bluefan and his services to anyone who asked. This is my first ever review, So i'd like to say thanks for reading and I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Last edited:

Range Switch
Whilst discussing with Johan about the head and the maximum output being increased, He informed me that the TEC was actually capable of reading up to 5 Watts, It was the circuitry which limited it. He then told me he would see what he could do to increase the maximum. The following morning I woke up to an email saying that he had managed to setup a mode switch on it which would allow the LPM to read lasers of up to 5 Watts, Leaving the switch on the left let me read up to 1999mW before the LPM would zero out again, I could then switch over to the 2 - 5W range allowing me to measure higher. He did this at no extra charge which I was extremely happy about considering I offered to pay him extra $$ if need be.
Calibration
For better accuracy, Bluefan offered to do a linear calibration at multiple wavelengths. He charged me 15 euro for this which I was ok with. Calibration certificate tells the rest:
1UJOkeW.png

Timing was 44 seconds to hit: 300mW

So all up I have a 5 Watt calibrated LPM for $147 USD. I'd recommend Bluefan and his services to anyone who asked. This is my first ever review, So i'd like to say thanks for reading and I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Nice detailed review...:gj:

You say that the TEC can handle 5Watts.... I assume
that you mean with the applied coating...

My question is at what power density or at what
5Watt beam diameter ??

The chart only shows testing at a maximum of ~1Watt...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Nice detailed review...:gj:

You say that the TEC can handle 5Watts.... I assume
that you mean with the applied coating...

My question is at what power density or at what
5Watt beam diameter ??

The chart only shows testing at a maximum of ~1Watt...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics
Thanks for that, I'll ask Johan when he comes online.

sinner

Very nice, its right on the value!! :beer: +1 to buyer and the seller :wave:

phenol

I have a similarly sized TEC sensor i got from Igor when he was still around. i made the electronics behind. it is my second one because things went wrong wit the first when it met the tiled floor sensor down.
im using a 70-Watt tec for co2 laser power estimation with a thermally coupled piece of black anodized aluminum to spread heat evenly across the surface.

Billiam, what is that pair of handies right next to the sprite can?

phenol

yes, since 1997...
i have yaesu ft50,ft60,ft857d,ft10,icom e90,91,92 and E880, the last two being D-Star. i also have a cb radio somewhere..

yes, since 1997...
i have yaesu ft50,ft60,ft857d,ft10,icom e90,91,92 and E880, the last two being D-Star. i also have a cb radio somewhere..
Where are you located? I also have a 45W 400 - 490mhz TYT - 900 as my home base. Sitting on a 1.25 metre whip on my roof.

phenol

My qth is Bulgaria. we have one dstar repeater in Sofia (LZ0DSR), but im in a fringe zone so even with 50W on 70cm band i am barely opening it with an X50 rod

My qth is Bulgaria. we have one dstar repeater in Sofia (LZ0DSR), but im in a fringe zone so even with 50W on 70cm band i am barely opening it with an X50 rod
That's what I hate about 70cm. I virtually get no where with it.

phenol

well, it does a good job provided there arent major obstacles ahead. Besides, 144MHz here has gotten really noisy recently due to the unlimited proliferation of poorly shielded digital equipment (routers, pcs and whatnot). It only takes a fraction of a microvolt to render a 25khz channel unusable