Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue-Violet compared with Green lasers?

I have a 100mw green laser, but i want to buy a blue-violet laser. i want the beam to be as visible as my current 100mw green laser, or even better. how many mw do i need the blue-violet laser to be?

YGG

They will never be as bright as a 100mw green... yet. Closest you will come at the moment is an 8X diode, you can drive them over 400mw with good heatsinking. Between 500-580nm is the easiest for our eyes to see, 405nm is one of the hardest to see so it's really not an issue of power but how our eyes see things. They do get bright on fluorescent items though.

D

Deleted member 8382

You will never get it as bright or even close as a 100mW green, and less with blu-ray.

Jaseth

Try looking at this
http://www.acculinepro.com/ap/images/visible_light_spectrum(1).png
Usually the amount of red needed compared to green in a balanced light show is set to 4 reds for 1 green, that would be 400mW for your 100mW green.
Violet (405nm) is close to 0 visibility compared to red with about 8% and green with about 75%.
As far as I can make out, you would need about 2W of violet light to match the visibility of 100mW green, and at present the newest and most expensive violet diodes can reach about 400mW. That would mean that you would have to buy 5 of the new 8x sleds which are expensive, buy drivers and very good heatsinking and then expensive beam combiners, set up in a complex and very precise way to combine all 5 beams.

Basically: Forget about it.

Last edited:

k1kb0t

Jayrob was working on what powers mixed well for his RGV build. 162mW of Blu-ray with 32mW of Green, so you will need about 520mW and I don't think it will shine like the green.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/l...djustable-sled-mount-heat-sinks-feeler-3.html

I think that with green, it is going to be most important to have as steady power as possible, because it is the most visible, and will make the most difference in the color blend.

Let's all keep good notes...
I'm hoping to get a record of what powers work for a good color blend.

So far, measuring power after sled optics:

* Red - 26mW
* Blu-ray - 20mW
* Green - 4mw
* White - 50mW

This combination is pretty good for color blend. Red is a little strong, but not by much.

I am going to try for my next one, to multiply the above numbers by 8. Giving: (after sled optics)

* Red - 208mW
* Blu-ray - 160mW
* Green - 32mW
* White - 400mW

Last edited:
alrighty...i guess i wont see a blue-violet laser beam ever.

But i still want to buy one.

Is www.0-like.com--Ê×Ò³ a good site?
(2 products on that site. the 80mW+ Blu-ray laser pointer, and the 100mW Blue-violet laser pointer.) wich one is recommended?

D

Deleted member 8382

Forget about buying a chinese bluray. Build one or buy a built one here, you will get more power and cheaper.

Yours,
Albert

Forget about buying a chinese bluray. Build one or buy a built one here, you will get more power and cheaper.

Yours,
Albert

i have heard that o-like is a good supplier. I have bought my green lasers on dealextreme. the true lasers. the forums tell the true lasers...have really true output.
and i dont want to spend more then 100 dollar.

i cant build one myself, im not good at soldering and mechanical stuff.

Never hurts to learn. It doesn't take a ton of experience to make a laser...trust me.

D

Deleted member 8382

You can for sure build one yourself, you don't need to solder anything or spend more than 100$ and you will get 120mW of bluray.

Buy a kit from adrian http://www.laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/buy-sell-trade/40324-fs-250mw-red-130mw-blu-ray-burning-lasers.html

And buy a phr in aixiz module here or at modwerx.com

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/buy-sell-trade/22496-phr-803t-aixiz-17-50-shipped-worldwide.html

All you need to do is to put the aixiz inside the heatsink and to put your batteries and you are ready to go for 93$

Yours,
Albert

Last edited by a moderator:
im just to scared to try, i really need something ultra simple that doesnt have any risk.
maby i will break something and throw away all my money.

anyways thanks for answering my main question about the comparision of 100mw green with 100mw blue-violet.

to get a white balanced light you need 1:4:4 RGV

so 400mws of violet should get you pretty close.

but the other problem is greens have such a fine beam that it will be hard to get a 405 focused as small which in turn makes it look less powerful.

D

Deleted member 8382

im just to scared to try, i really need something ultra simple that doesnt have any risk.
maby i will break something and throw away all my money.

anyways thanks for answering my main question about the comparision of 100mw green with 100mw blue-violet.
It's really ultra simple. Belive me. I'm not any expert on electronics, laser, or laser buildings, and belive me that anyone can do this.

You must buy it in parts just because its illegal in USA to sell them complete, but it's just like selling 2 pieces of a puzzle. It's just puting it inside!

Yours,
Albert

It's really ultra simple. Belive me. I'm not any expert on electronics, laser, or laser buildings, and belive me that anyone can do this.

You must buy it in parts just because its illegal in USA to sell them complete, but it's just like selling 2 pieces of a puzzle. It's just puting it inside!

Yours,
Albert
a simple tutorial so i wont screw something ultra simple up?
Where to connect the wires to for example..

just search there is a whole how to section, jayrob does some great ones.

but you do need basic things such as soldering iron, meter, wire, soldering skills, helping hands are good but not a must, and also the basic soldering accessories

Jayrob was working on what powers mixed well for his RGV build. 162mW of Blu-ray with 32mW of Green, so you will need about 520mW and I don't think it will shine like the green.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/l...djustable-sled-mount-heat-sinks-feeler-3.html

I don't think you can scale it up like that. When your mixing colors things can be a little different. For example (and I learned this on PL) If your trying to create white with 650nm 532nm and 445nm's you will actually end up needing
less 445nm to get a white balance despite the fact that 532 is brighter then 445nm. You won't need as much because with say 473nm's your eyes have a higher green cone response then 445nm. This same thing can apply with blu-ray but its so far off that you still need more.

--hydro15