Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue Ray questions

Two questions now I have my 90mW blue ray working. Or at least I think its 90mW, its at 100mA and charts say its roughly 90mW.

When I use certain batteries the laser seams to go very dim after being on for a few seconds, yet if I use some cheapy batteries I found then it works perfectly. I was using rechargeables that were fully charged, yet after a few seconds it still goes really dim.

Can blue rays mode hop because of certain batteries or is it a different problem.

Second question is to do with focusing to burn. I have the laser focused for quite a distance even though the furthur away you are the more blury it looks but even when I focus it to the smallest point I can it still refuses to burn anything. Probally not healthy but if I point it at my hand I can feel a slight sting from it but it refuses to burn anything like my 75mW green Viper.

How exactly can it be focused to the point where it easily burns? I heard blue rays were better at burning then reds and greens.

jayrob

Because of all the reflection, you need proper eye protection to see the dot for focusing to a tiny point for burning. Black paper or material is very helpful.

About the batteries, it sounds like maybe there is a connection issue with the other batteries. Some batteries do not have much of a 'nub' sitcking out on the positive contact. If your host is using the 3 X AAA battery holder, you may need to clip the plastic tabs on the holder.

I have found that these can prevent a good contact with certain batteries...
side5.jpg

Now, for serious burning and to get the most out of your blu-ray, I cannot help but point you to this 405-G-1 glass lens mod. It is the hottest thing since the 6X (now 8X) diode! 28% increase in power!:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1237515270
Jay

jayrob said:
Because of all the reflection, you need proper eye protection to see the dot for focusing to a tiny point for burning. Black paper or material is very helpful.

About the batteries, it sounds like maybe there is a connection issue with the other batteries. Some batteries do not have much of a 'nub' sitcking out on the positive contact. If your host is using the 3 X AAA battery holder, you may need to clip the plastic tabs on the holder.

I have found that these can prevent a good contact with certain batteries...
side5.jpg

Now, for serious burning and to get the most out of your blu-ray, I cannot help but point you to this 405-G-1 glass lens mod. It is the hottest thing since the 6X (now 8X) diode! 28% increase in power!:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1237515270
Jay

I have focused it againsed black card, the dot just doesn't appear to go that small. The best I got it is about 4mm.

I have seen that picture before but I can't see how 'cliping' the tab is going to help at all. I am assuming by clipping you mean cutting off? In which case there is no contact at all and it wont work... I never understood what that ment to I just left it. Plus the fact that I got mine from DX which has a black AAA holder making it near impossible to figure out which part of the holder it is you have in the picture.

Will take a look at that lens. My blue ray is at 100mA which should be 90mW minus say 10 - 15mW because of the acrylic lens? They fit in standard aixiz lenses right?

jayrob

Look closer at the picture. It is the tiny 'plastic' tab that I am pointing at. Not the metal contact tab...

About focus, first try close distance, like 3 feet. As you turn the lens counter clockwise, the dot will get smaller and smaller, then you will see smoke...
Jay

jayrob said:
Look closer at the picture. It is the tiny 'plastic' tab that I am pointing at. Not the metal contact tab...

About focus, first try close distance, like 3 feet. As you turn the lens counter clockwise, the dot will get smaller and smaller, then you will see smoke...
Jay

So you are! The clear plastic in the picture doesn't do that any justice. I can't imagine that being the problem but it won't hurt to give it a try.

I'll try focusing when I am home, I tried what you say before just brom about half a foot away and it just would not do it.

Ok that's odd...

Got home, stuck the batteries in and its rather dim... Not like what it is when I have the battery problem. Its sort of in the middle between what its meant to and what its like with the battery problem.