Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

Blue Laser 1000MW - 450nm - PROBLEM

Hectix

New member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
2
Points
0

Hello guys,

My brother bought me a blue laser 1000mW - wavelenght 450nm
I go to balcony and light up the sky. One day later, i wanted to show laser to my friend but laser did not work. I tried to charge batteries for 1 day. After i charge it, again laser did not work. I bought new batteries, same (UltraFire 16340 - 1200mAh 3.6V Li-ON, when battery came, i again go to balcony and light up the sky. And after 10 minutes of lighting, laser stop working. Yesterday, I bought new batteries but with higher voltage 3.7V instead of 3.6V.
Again same problem, 10minutes of fun but after stop working again. Meanwhile of this i trying to charge batteries maybe 10 times with no result. :(

Can someone help me please ? Its expensive laser. :undecided:

Thanks.
 
Last edited:

Eudaimonium

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
6,311
Points
83
Sounds like you just have impossibly bad luck and got 3 dud pairs of batteries in a row.

It's not a problem with the laser as far as I can tell from here, if it was it would never light up, no matter what batteries.

I suggest getting a quality pair of 16340 batteries, a brand like Sanyo or IW.

OR, you could be having a weird contact with your tailcap. Do you have a multimeter handy? It could be that the tailcap is a bit loosely assembled and is not producing reliable contact. Best way to know: Insert fully charged batteries, and instead of putting on tailcap, use something metal to make contact between end of the battery, and the case of the laser. If the laser lights up nicely, it's a problem with tailcap. If not, it's a problem with batteries.
 

Hectix

New member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
2
Points
0
OK, i try what you say, i tried to find out if it problem with tailcap. I tried every batter i have, no result. And after i got an idea. Soak batteries with saliva every side. Result was awesome. Laser light for a second but no full light, maybe 50% of full light. What do you recommend now ?

Thanks
 

Eudaimonium

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
6,311
Points
83
OK, i try what you say, i tried to find out if it problem with tailcap. I tried every batter i have, no result. And after i got an idea. Soak batteries with saliva every side. Result was awesome. Laser light for a second but no full light, maybe 50% of full light. What do you recommend now ?

Thanks
Well for starters I would recommend NOT doing that!

So wait, did you try to insert batteries and make contact with something metal, instead of tailcap? Did the laser light up?

I recommend first using Multimeter to measure voltage of your all your batteries after they've been charged, see if any are defective.

Second, I recommend inspecting the batteries to see if they produce reliable contact with each other - the positive side of each battery should have a small raised pad so it can make contact with negative side of next battery.
 

Constandinos97

New member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
133
Points
0
Soak batteries with saliva every side. Result was awesome.
Ummm... WHAT?! I'm pretty sure that this is not the intended use for batteries sir! Really though, don't do that.

It seems to me that the expensive part (the laser diode) is working just fine. I've been told that UltraFire batteries aren't really reliable. Best you can do is to avoid using them.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the laser from?
 

mortuus

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 6, 2013
Messages
1,239
Points
48
did u use the laser for 10 min? then u burned out the diode no way the run time in that host can be that long impossible... u killed it!
 

anderp

New member
Joined
May 17, 2015
Messages
27
Points
0
OP, you probably have flat-top batteries which have just enough of a button on top to contact when they're new & are being crushed into not making contact with each other after one use.

This would explain why the saliva helped too - but yeah, as others have said, OH GOD DON'T DO THAT.

Get yourself some tiny neodymium magnet discs (5x1mm) to put between the cells (tiny folded up squares of foil also work), or get higher quality cells with button tops (Panasonic, Sanyo etc - Soshine if you're feeling super cheap) and that should fix it :)
 
Last edited:

joeyss

2
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
1,120
Points
0
OP, you probably have flat-top batteries which have just enough of a button on top to contact when they're new & are being crushed into not making contact with each other after one use.

This would explain why the saliva helped too - but yeah, as others have said, OH GOD DON'T DO THAT.

Get yourself some tiny neodymium magnet discs (5x1mm) to put between the cells (tiny folded up squares of foil also work), or get higher quality cells with button tops (Panasonic, Sanyo etc - Soshine if you're feeling super cheap) and that should fix it :)
Yea don't do that Lithium ions and moisture don't mix.
 
Last edited:




Top