Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue Hotlights SF-AW210, failed extraction, used red diode

Johnyz

Hello everyone. Today, my SF-AW210 finally arrived. As I tried to extract it (much harder than a PHR), I managed to break the diode window. But I decided to power it up anyway. Ran for a few minutes (with horrible dot) then LED. I was running it with the OFL 74 boost driver and a 18500. However, there was one more diode in the sled. A red SOC. So I turned the current a bit up (at max the driver heats up a lot) and put that one into action. And guess what, bright red light that burns like crazy. Now, that's pretty nice, but I always wanted a Blu-ray in this one (lost 3 405 diodes during my long-term experiment/build). Now, I would like to ask, what do you reccomend to get. I'm looking at BDR-S06J, does anyone have a better suggestion (not 445)? I would be getting the AK-007 driver for that.

rhd

If you want to go 405, and as powerful as possible, then you're probably looking at either the SF-BW512L or the BDR-SO6J. Both are great, the BDR-SO6J is probably a bit better, but not markedly. Both really are great. The BW512L is generally cheaper.

You'll want to look into some new driver options. I'm not sure ODF has anything that is truly suited for a 12x 405. To be honest, I've never really come across a commercial driver that I thought handled a 12x well. Presumable the flexdrives do, but I'm not a fan of those personally.

If I was approaching a 405 today, and it was going to be my one-and-only 405, I know exactly what I'd do:

- BDR-SO6J
- Find a cool looking 18650 host that you can fit 2x18350s in, get a custom HS
- Order 2x AW IMR 18350 batteries.
- Do a DIY 1085 based DDL driver, with the IC arctic silvered to the main HS
- Set the current at the highest safe level you think is reasonable

That's largely the approach I took in this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f63/beautiful-work-ray-j-neal-62981.html
Except that I went with the BW512L instead of the BDR-SO6J. But that was just a money thing. I had a bunch of BW512Ls sitting around, and didn't have that cash to spring for BDRs.

Last edited:

Johnyz

Thanks. I don't like these drivers too. I'm looking at the AK-007, I might lower the current more by increasing the dropout by adding a diode in series with the LD. Also, I want to order from Odic, because it is the closest laser shop to me (5 days from order!), and they have the S06J for less than the BW512L. I also already have a hotlights host with modded 18500, I might turn that red SOC into a labby. Also, from my driver experiments I know that there is one major rule when using a TO220 linear driver in hosts that use the case as negative/positive: "INSULATE THE TO220 HEATSINK!" Mica sheets work pretty well for this.

rhd

Thanks. I don't like these drivers too. I'm looking at the AK-007, I might lower the current more by increasing the dropout by adding a diode in series with the LD.

I was about to jump in here and say "THAT WON'T WORK!", but actually, it might. Albeit, in a roundabout way. The driver will struggle to boost voltage higher because of the additional diode, and in the process, loose some efficiency on the current side.

Having said that, I think the more appropriate solution would be to find and alter the current setting resistor on the driver itself.

Johnyz

Too bad DX is so slow... I might get 2 or three at that price.