Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Blu-ray vs white wine

Benm

Something curious i noticed tonight, when playing with a bluray laser while having some white wine... it produces a brilliant cyan fluorescense. I'm not sure if its specifc to this white wine (californian, blend) or a common effect, but it looks as good in person as it does in pictures :)

The color reminds me of cerenkov radiation seen in reactor pools with cooling spent fuel rods, but this solution seems much safer...

Attachments

Woah, that's really cool! I wonder what's making it glow like that... Maybe the yellow pigment, or the alcohol...

Kevlar

Very cool find!!! But in the pictures, it kinda looks more like moon-shine than white wine!! :crackup::crackup:

Seriously though, I'm amazed at the different things out there that react to the 405nm wavelength.

HaloBlu

Really neat color. What power 405 did you use?

I need to pick some nice bottles to start a collection of reactive liquids.

Seoul_lasers

WOw! That's certainly a shift in spectra there. Indeed Ethyl Alcohol is fluorescent in 405nm light according to several documents online.

Try with vodka.

Benm

Its not the alcohol doing this though, i reckon its something organic from the grapes. This wine is rather pale-yellowish under normal light.

The laser used is a simple PHR build, but the effect will be there regardless of pwer output. I suppose its caused by something coming from the grapes, since a glass of vodka or similar doesnt yield comparable results. Its something best seen in person though, just a very eerie glow around the beam. Its not unexpected usin bluray, but its spectacular to the eye - you see no beam enterering or exiting, just a bringt streak if cyan in your glass :_

Seoul_lasers

funny the same effect can be found in Vodka.

Interesting. Sodium Metabisulphate? I am wonderding what it might be to have a downshift on the beam.

Benm

I've tried a couple of other things:

- vodka (ursus brand): no effect at all, beam is hardly visible and certainly not downshifted.

- scotch: beam is absorbed within an inch or so of the wall, it fluoresces about the color of the actual drink.

- chardonnay: fluoresces for sure, but it was a closed, slightly green bottle, so its i don't know the color until i drink it.

- champagne (brut): both moet&chandon and de telmont brands seem to fluoresce like the white wines, but can't tell the exact color due to the dark bottles.

- gin: the expected blue color, actually similar to that of the white wine, but this has been a wellknown phenomenon when drinking gin & tonic under blacklight... i've never seen wine light up like that though.

Seoul_lasers

I tried Soju and got this effect. Chamisul brand gives the same effect you got for the wine.
I am starting to wonder if it's a kind of chemical tag to id the brand from other brands.

mysterious.

Xtrm2Rick

i always like the green beam i get when shining my 12x trough a bottle of wiskey

cam doesn't show the right color :(

Last edited:

Burnsy

Dude wow, that looks beautiful! :)
and Benm lol you have to drink a lot more... so you can shine thru the glass and not the bottle ;)

chipdouglas

i found my blu-ray and white wine pic. the wine is the 2buck chuck LoL. And my cam picked up the color almost exact.

Attachments

Ash

<-- My avatar is a 100mW bluray (spiro) shining through Automotive Coolant.