Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-ray problems

hey,

So i have a pocketpal blu-ray and it works fine but yesterday i turned it on and nothing happened so i turned it off. I turned it on again and it worked. It happened again today. But today i had to turn it on/off twice for it to start working. Any ideas about whats wrong? :-?

Thanks

daguin

The_Muffin_Man said:
hey,
So i have a pocketpal blu-ray and it works fine but yesterday i turned it on and nothing happened so i turned it off.  I turned it on again and it worked.  It happened again today.  But today i had to turn it on/off twice for it to start working.  Any ideas about whats wrong?  :-?
Thanks

How long are you waiting for it to come on. Remember, the flexdrive has a "delay" on the first time it is turned on after a "rest."

Peace,
dave

I know about the flexdrives "soft start" I left it on long enough for the soft start delay but then when nothing happened it turned it off and tried again...It is working now but i just want to make sure nothing is wrong...It seems that after a couple of hours without use the problem happens...

daguin

The_Muffin_Man said:
I know about the flexdrives "soft start" I left it on long enough for the soft start delay but then when nothing happened it turned it off and tried again...It is working now but i just want to make sure nothing is wrong...It seems that after a couple of hours without use the problem happens...

If it is delayed beyond the second for the flexdrive and/or doesn't come on at all sometimes but works fine other times, you have a poor connection somewhere or an intermittent short.

Peace,
dave

daguin

The_Muffin_Man said:
So should i open it up and take a look? see if all the connections are good?

Only you can assess your skillz.  I would start with just the threaded parts and the battery connections (and assorted springs), including the actual battery ends themselves.  Are the springs "centered" well?  Are they pulled out far enough to give good contact tension?  If you can avoid going into the electronics of the laser so much the better;)

You might also try to replicate the conditions under which it won't start. For instance; does it only fail to start when it is being held with the laser pointed up?

Peace,
dave

Ah i see...I agree never take a working laser apart...I learned that the hard way ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

the battery pack is a little loose so i may solder an aixiz spring onto one end to put a little more pressure on it (yes they do conduct electricity :D)

I know your problem.

You are using the DX.Sku46 host, correct?
Wel, you got on of the bad ones, and your tail clicky switch is failing.
The are very bad switches, and sometimes they do not complete the connection.

I have had numerous problems with this :(

i actually bought an identical flashlight from harbor freight...except that the switch is different, and the main part of the body is a little thinner...i used the sku 46 head though so the heatsink would fit through...other than that the rest of the host is from harbor freight...

but i definately see the posibility that it could be a bad switch...what do i do if it doesnt work? turn it off then on again?

The_Muffin_Man said:
i actually bought an identical flashlight from harbor freight...except that the switch is different, and the main part of the body is a little thinner...i used the sku 46 head though so the heatsink would fit through...other than that the rest of the host is from harbor freight...

but i definately see the posibility that it could be a bad switch...what do i do if it doesnt work? turn it off then on again?
Yea, pretty much.
I think Dave has a solution.
Something about sticking a piece of metal in there or something.

daguin

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=The_Muffin_Man link=1232317457/0#8 date=1232469441]i actually bought an identical flashlight from harbor freight...except that the switch is different, and the main part of the body is a little thinner...i used the sku 46 head though so the heatsink would fit through...other than that the rest of the host is from harbor freight...
Yea, pretty much.
I think Dave has a solution.
Something about sticking a piece of metal in there or something.[/quote]

If you suspect that the connection to the battery carriage is poor because the carriage is too short, try placing a rare earth magnet in as a spacer.  Of course, you could probably just get away with stretching the contact spring out a bit too ;)

Peace,
dave