Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-ray pointer

I would like to build a low powered blu-ray pointer in a pointer host (like daguin's). This is not a project I will be starting on now, I would just like to know how to do it for as cheap as possible.

I have been thinking about it, and it would be great if I could just do this inside a cheap greenie. I don't know what would happen if I just replaced the IR diode with a PS3 diode. What current are these greenies driven at, and would the crystals cause it to not work? If so, could I take them out/turn the pot down/whatever?

I want this to be as cheap as possible. That's really my only concern.

Thanks,
Mark

daguin

rocketparrotlet said:
I would like to build a low powered blu-ray pointer in a pointer host (like daguin's).  This is not a project I will be starting on now, I would just like to know how to do it for as cheap as possible.  
I have been thinking about it, and it would be great if I could just do this inside a cheap greenie.  I don't know what would happen if I just replaced the IR diode with a PS3 diode.  What current are these greenies driven at, and would the crystals cause it to not work?  If so, could I take them out/turn the pot down/whatever?
I want this to be as cheap as possible.  That's really my only concern.
Thanks,
Mark

The driver for a green module puts out hundreds of mA of current and only 3-5V.  I don't think that the green driver can be turned down that low nor can it run with the voltage needed to run a violet.  The PS3 (KES) diode can only take about 40mA at 5V.  You can turn down the driver for a different diode to make a low powered lecture-type pointer, but it will still require similar current and voltage to what the PS3 requires.  The DT-0811 and the SF-AD112 can lase at very low currents.

You have to just "gut" the original electronics (save the switch).  I think that Andy_Con has a tutorial on these on his site.  he was building high powered violets, but the process is the same.

Peace,
dave

Oops, got my diodes confused.  Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I checked the project you are talking about, but it doesn't seem very clear. Is there a tutorial on LPF for building a laser in a pointer host? I want to cut costs as much as possible here, so if there are any existing drivers (like in a red laser pen?) that feed a really small current, just barely enough for one of these to lase, that can be obtained cheaply, that would be great.

-Mark

Okay, I thought of something. Daguin, you know that 7mW red diode you gave me in the MegaRandom trade box? (Thanks, by the way! It's awesome!) Approximately how much current is that driver putting out? Would it work to drive a PS3 diode, and at what power?

-Mark