Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-Ray Output Rating Questions?

Hello,

I see in the Blu-Ray Posts that the output is normally at 20mw to be safe and 40mw for the extreme. Is this due to it's capabilty limits or just due to the heat build up causing power drops/failures?

If you were to really keep the diode cool (finned, fanned, peltier) would that net any ability for increased power output handling, or would all that net me is a longer running duty cycle?

What Diodes do they use to run those 100mw or higher Laser Show/Lab Units? Are they available somewhere to make a killer pointer out of?

Your input is greatly appriciated!

Thanks, Joe ;)

Switch

40mW out of a blu-ray reader diode? :eek: I guess I missed that post....
Anyway cooling it properly would give you a full 100% duty cycle but still won't allow you to get past a certain limit.If you put more current into it , it's gonna have a shorter life.

You can use a DVD writer diode to make a 200+ mW red pointer.As for the blue and green laser shows, those are all DPSS lasers which means (in a nuttshel) an IR diode and some crystals.Sorry , no green or blue diodes.
Haven't seen any blu-ray laser shows though....

drlava

I think you misread it. it's 7mW to be safe, 10mW with good cooling, and 20mW in the extreme. Don't confuse mW with mA.

Lasershow units are often gas or DPSS lasers, not just direct diodes. As Dr. Lava said though, sounds like you got mA confused with mW. You normally don't want to be pushing those blu-ray diodes much past 10mW.

Skram0

I grabbed a pic a while back from one of the forum members who ran a bunch of tests. I'll post the pic below. Is this thing not right? Did he find out later there was an error somewhere? I don't know where the post is or who made this chart, though.

Attachments

• BR_Graph2_001.jpg
    BR_Graph2_001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 110
A data point past 50mW for the diode? lol, no there's definitely something not right there. Perhaps he was trying to extrapolate where you shouldn't? Also, the graph shouldn't be curving down that way :-/

Hey Guys,

Ya, I did misread and quoted the ma reading versus the mw output, oops,  must have been late???

I have done alot of reading on lasers in the past few days, so brain fart.

I see now that the blu-rays can only do 10+/-mw safely.

I have learned alot in a short time w/ you guys and I do appreciate it!

It was 20+ years ago when I got an Assoc. in Electronic Controls, and I have to say, I really never used it since, as I went into another field. So it has been slow for things to come back to mind. This field is also a bit outside the scope of what I learned, but I am learning quickly thanks to you all.

Keep up the good work!

Regards, Joe
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

drlava

I have gone through about 15 blu-ray diodes, and that chart is possible in about 1 out of 7 diodes. susally it's shifted 7-10mA to the right.

Switch

Still I don't really see why any of you guys isn't making a blu-ray burner ::) (yes i'm gonna keep saying that until someone does it ;D)

I think there's something wrong with that curve.. The mA and mW vectors appear to be swaped maybe.. I would have expected the power response slope to be steeper earlier with a clearly defined knee but according to that curve, the steepest part of the slop is at the end (40-50mW) and there is no sign of it rolling off.

switch, the issue is the diodes simply can't handle it. if you want to buy me a $1200 BluRay burner drive, sure I'll make one. But not before then.