Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Blu-ray Lighting a Match!!!

yobresal

So I didn't realize that my blu-rays have burning power until I felt the sting on my tattoo. I decided to try and light a match and it worked. Here is a vid. http://youtube.com/watch?v=CQnE1BkZAW4

Switch

Awesome!!! :D What power can that be? Can you etch black plastic and pop baloons?! Bring on more vids!!!!

disma

what ma is this at? I think you mentioned it was 28?! :eek:
mine are at 32 and they cant burn stuff. Id be worried they would die at anything over 38.

Max

yobresal

The last 3 Blu-Rays I built are running at ridiculously high ma. I killed 7 to find three that can hang out at these high currents. I now have 2 that light matches, cut electrical tape ( slowly), burn leather, and all that fun stuff.
Hey Switch what kind of vid do you want?

Gazoo

Well at least it didn't take you as long as it did for me.. ;D I was running mine at 55ma's....the question remains, how many ma's are you running into yours???

Hemlock_Mike

I'm with Gazoo --- I was running 55mA and did the burning stuff at a high cost to diode life. Killed 2 that way.

Mike

Switch

Well, the usual burning pointer stuff: tape cutting , balloon popping , burning black stuffs :p
And if would be cool if you'd tell us how much current you're feeding that blu-ray beast :D

yobresal

Switch

mmmmmm.......blu-ray smoke [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
That's so exotic :D
Don't you have an ampmeter or a multimeter, I would be most curious :-/

yobresal

I have a multi-meter sitting here amongst a cluttered pile of stuff i don't use as much as I should.

Switch

yobresal said:
I have a multi-meter sitting here amongst a cluttered pile of stuff i don't use as much as I should.
Use the multimeter Luke!!!

RA_pierce

That's intense. I'm guessing about 70mW?
How visible is the beam/spot compared to 5mW of green?

yobresal

The beam is only visible if it is being shined toward your direction. I don't have 5mW of green to compare it with, but from past lasers I have owned I would say that it is about as visible as 2-3mW of green.

RA_pierce

Hmmm... that's not too bad. It sounds about as visible as a 5mW red. I need to get parts... I've been accumulating pieces to build a red or IR burner but after this I think I want to build a Blu-ray...

Lee

Thats a really cool beam that you can see for half a second in the balloon vid. :cool:
Is that one of DDL's diodes?