Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-Ray Laser Emitting Other Colors...

My DX Blu-ray is emitting 2 visible spectrum strips like a prism.
moz-screenshot.png
spectrum_8657.jpg

Not Mine^.:eg:

I first noticed this when I was wearing my yellow glasses from Glenn and examining the dot. I noticed this dim rectangle of yellow light, then I put the glasses in front of the laser and the dot completely disappeared, leaving only the odd rectangle of light. I was shining it at a wall about a foot away.
CIMG0716.jpg

When I got really close to it this is what I saw,
CIMG0712.jpg

In the next pictures you can see the strips of light clearly.

Here's with the glasses in front of the camera, with the strips pointed out.
CIMG0731.jpg

And with the glasses in front of the laser, also with the strips.
CIMG0728.jpg

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it not normal?

P.S. Sorry for the bad pics, my camera doesn't pick up very faint light very well.(And it was very DIM!)

Last edited:

Pilgor

Re: Blu-Ray Emitting Other Colors...

Try cleaning the lens, might be an artifact. Only thing I can think off.

It sucks to type with one hand, i broke my left hand today in the shower, however my laser hand is okay.
:bowdown: laser gods

I broke my left hand today in the shower, however my laser hand is okay.
:bowdown: laser gods

Dang that sucks I remember when I broke my writing hand, not fun.

Definitely NOT an artifact of the lens, I know that for sure.

Definitely NOT an artifact of the lens, I know that for sure.
This has been explained before, but I'm not sure what really causes it. I can tell you that it is perfectly normal in Blu-Ray diodes; the artifact is even in my SF-AW build. Just enjoy the rectangle :angel:

As far as I know these emissions are not actual laser light, they're not coherent or monochromatic -- remember a LD is similar to an LED, and does emit a broad spectrum... but I'm betting you're seeing, essentially, noncoherent LED light outside of 405.

Emc2

To be honest dude. my blu-ray is doing the same thing.

-Todd

This is something I have not seen explained before.
I think the general consensus is that it is spontaneous emissions possibly caused by fluorescence in the die materials.

If you look at the images provided, you can see the "shadow" of the tiny wires connecting the die to the pins.

It looks like what is happening here is that the lens is projecting the image of the die. You can even sorta make out the shape of the die itself.

This yellow emission is "normal."

Its certainly not normal at all, your Blu-ray is possessed! And its trying to escape the diode to enter your head!
You will have to send it to me as soon as possible!
If you keep a possessed Blu-ray too long it will compel you to purchase more & more lasers initiating a vicious cycle ending with you homeless & destitute.
Don't delay! PM me for instructions!

Last edited:
Selling possesed Blu-Ray, 100$ if anyone wants it... [/joke]

Although if someone does want it for 100$ I'll be willing to part...

Doc

It's more than likely a fluorescence generated in the lense, reflected back from and then focused by the lense.

Well the laser just died, the dot is hardly visible but I can see the other stuff just the same, even on fresh batteries.

Broad, yellow spontaneous emission is not at all uncommon in GaN-based semiconductors.

It's likely defect-based spontaneous emission of some kind (hence it being the same brightness even after teh laser no longer lases), but suffice to say it's not at all uncommon in any way. Its visibility varies, and it's often covered up by the band edge transitions (In this case violet light) but the same is true of blue or green or other colors of laser diodes or LEDs produced with GaN, or even solar cells under photo- or cathodoluminescence. But it's common, you just can't always see it.