Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-ray dummy load help, 1kohm resistor

Ok guys, dumb move i know, BUT it was all that the 3 radioshacks neer me had in stock.

SO, i ask you this, if using a 1KOHM resistor, instead of a 1OHM resistor, how could i acuratly "or damn close to it" measure the Ma with my 6 IN4001 diodes.

im pretty sure i read on the old LPF that if you do use a 1KOHM resistor, you can apply a little math to get the right reading? is this true? if so could someone be kind enough to lend me a helping hand. but if it ABSOLUTELY cannot be done please let me know and i will refrain from using them. i wont even try it until i hear form someone.

thank you much in advance guys!

Dark

bump, i could really use a little guidance on this one guys. im about to rip apart my LOC build for the 1ohm out of my LM317 here in a few.

If you can use a 10ohm or 100ohm before considering a 1k... If they are not close tolerance, lets say 2%.
A 1k could be 20ohms out (unlikely)
a 10ohm would only be 0.2ohms out

All that said if the 1k is all you can get use it and multiply the meter reading by 1000

Regards rog8811

rog, your the man, seriously, i had thought of that earlier, but i wasnt sure if there were some variables that would come into play. so i just waited. but yes 1K's is the closest they had.

thank you so much for the help. JUST in the nik of time too. i was in the midst of dismantling my LOC build for the 1ohm lol.

thanx a million man.

Dark

Chuck

Ehhh, you are going to set a current through a resistor. 100ma at 1ohm would require the regulator to supply 0.1V (if there were no diodes to make thinks easier).

If you used a 1k resistor you'd need 100V (0.100A x 1000Ohms = 100V) from the regulator. Me think no workee.

Radio Shack does carry large 1 ohm power resistors, that and 3 or 4 1n400x diodes should do the job. You could also consider mail ordering the parts from a place liek Digikey / Mouser etc.

Ehhh, you are going to set a current through a resistor. 100ma at 1ohm would require the regulator to supply 0.1V (if there were no diodes to make thinks easier).

If you used a 1k resistor you'd need 100V (0.100A x 1000Ohms = 100V) from the regulator. Me think no workee.

Radio Shack does carry large 1 ohm power resistors, that and 3 or 4 1n400x diodes should do the job. You could also consider mail ordering the parts from a place liek Digikey / Mouser etc.

1 ohm resistors ARE a hard thing to find at Radio Shack. I've never found one in stock there either, in going to 3 or 4 different stores in the same day. You'll see a lot of people post this, the best way to get it is online like you said.

i got some 1ohm 1% tolerance resistors, i can give you some for free, you just would need to pay for shipping. I really don't know how much shipping will cost

Edit: I don't have more resistors.

Last edited:
Did you use the 1kOhm resistor in a test load? Maybe you got a reading then, but it definitely wouldn't work, unless you wanted to set up a current in the sub-mA range.