Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-Ray Dual Scanner System

Well, I finally finished my Blu-Ray retrofit ... (2) 803t's with rckstr drivers in a 4 motor scanner system by SHINP (DL22), as the pic shows, I'm having some early-stage troubles focusing the lasers (I set them at our storage facility to about 15ft and really need to move the focal point out a bit, the tunnels, etc are pretty fuzzy right now) - We're playing 4 nights a week right now so time is a little scarce, does anyone have any experience with dialing in the beams on a project like this that they could share? Thanks in advance - I just ordered a couple of 6x sleds so the next project is to eliminate the R from a couple of RGY systems I have to go VGB, I've seen some shots and like the look but the greens in those units are 100mW so I really couldn't see wasting my time with 803's in those systems...

Attachments

• bluray_capture_01_001.jpg
    bluray_capture_01_001.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 193

Good call, Adam - generally I avoid audience scanning >50mW with any color, like I mentioned last night was just a shakedown so I still haven't programmed the fixture and had it running on "auto" most of the night. The idea with the BR fixture to begin with was to do a violet sky to frame the stage, the 3 color units I'm working on will be used as sidefills also so the audience won't be exposed to any direct beams.

I totally agree, "safety first" !

diachi

BrewCityMusic said:
Good call, Adam - generally I avoid audience scanning >50mW with any color, like I mentioned last night was just a shakedown so I still haven't programmed the fixture and had it running on "auto" most of the night. The idea with the BR fixture to begin with was to do a violet sky to frame the stage, the 3 color units I'm working on will be used as sidefills also so the audience won't be exposed to any direct beams.

I totally agree, "safety first" !

Good good, Just trying to spread the news about BR safety :p

I'd love to see a video of this setup though :D

Pretty cool mate.

How exactly do duel scanners run? Are the galvos connected up to the same amp or do they have a seperate amp and whats needed for each one?

I wish I knew more about these systems, but to be honest, I buy them directly from the manufacturer already assembled and ready to run. The 4 scanner motors run directly to the controller PCB, which seems to have 4 amp chips on it (I'm assuming the 4 heatsinked chips are the amps, forgive me if I seem a little ignorant on this, I pretty much know just enough about the electronics to get in trouble!) - there is also a large IC (about the size of a 512 EPROM) which I'm assuming is the actual controller.

The systems are DMX addressable, 7 channels that control X and Y, preprogrammed patterns, scanner speed, strobing, pattern size, and motion speed. They can also be set with dipswitches to run sound-active with a built-in mic or autorun (which lets the systems cycle through about 300 preprogrammed patterns, tunnels, sky, fans, etc).

One drawback to the BR retrofit that I can see though is I lose the ability to control the "on/off" and strobing of the diodes. I get around that by having the unit plugged into a DMX relay pack, so when I want to incorporate it into the show I have to program 2 devices in the scene, first the relay pack (to power the unit and diodes "on") and then the actual programming of the unit itself. I plan in the near future to use the "on/off" send from the controller board to power the diodes using a relay, I just haven't dug that far into it yet (I wanted to get the BR modules installed and "shaken down" first to be sure I liked the BR effect...WHICH I DO ;D)

Another note, the company I buy these through in China (Shinp) has several styles of systems so you need to be careful not to fall for most of them you see on Ebay from resellers. I'll snap a pic and post it to show you, the DL22's you see all over Ebay are about half the size and weight of the Pro DL22's you can order from them directly (after you set up an account, etc with them and whatnot) and have incredibly slow scanners (very choppy, etc) and the overall construction of the smaller ones are just not as good (driver boards are fixed so no pot modding, everything is jammed together in there so really poor heat dissipation, etc).

yeah your system uses stepper motors, not actual galvos - but for basic beamshows and audio sync they work pretty well

Yep - these little systems are nowhere near as smooth as my ILDA units but hey, the price is right and with the way the guys tend to beat on our equipment (I play 4 nights a week myself and we do a total of 11 shows weekly) they're great "Bang for the Buck"!