Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu Ray Driver?

I'd like to build my first laser, and I think I'd like to go with the 803T diode. Can any of you guys steer me in the right direction as to what driver to build/buy? I don't really have any problem soldering stuff, so I'd like to build my own driver because I'm sure it would be much cheaper. Sorry if this is a common question, but I did a bit of looking around on the forums and haven't found the answer yet.

Thanks,
Mikey

You could buy a great premade driver from several of the members here. Their drivers (drlava, rckstar,etc.) are all excellent, reliable and very compact. Do a site search on bluray drivers, using search box fuction at top of page. If you want to create your own, you could try LM317 based current regulator, determine resistor value by going R = (1.25 / desired current to diode) For instance, 110 ma would need 1.25/0.110 = 11.36 ohms approx. Easy and quick to make. Power with 3 x CR2 or 3 x 10440 lithiums. Bluray is a beautiful and useful laser. You will enjoy it. Post photos when you are done.

billg519 said:
You could buy a great premade driver from several of the members here. Their drivers (drlava, rckstar,etc.) are all excellent, reliable and very compact.  Do a site search on bluray drivers, using search box fuction at top of page. If you want to create your own, you could try LM317 based current regulator, determine resistor value by going R = (1.25 / desired current to diode) For instance, 110 ma would need 1.25/0.110 = 11.36 ohms approx. Easy and quick to make. Power with 3 x CR2 or 3 x 10440 lithiums. Bluray is a beautiful and useful laser. You will enjoy it. Post photos when you are done.
Thanks for the excellent response. That was exactly what I needed. I think I remember seeing a write-up for the LM317 driver, I go look for it. I have seen those pre-made ones that people are selling on here and they're awesome, but size isn't really a concern for me, so I think I'll just make my own if it's cheaper.

Okay so to recap I need a diode, a driver, some batteries, a host, and a module. Will the AixiZ module fit the 803T or would I need to make/buy an adapter?

diachi

The Aixiz module fits the 803T :) You can also buy them pre-installed in the modules .

-Adam

Okay, so I bought an 803t from the link in Daedal's sig, and I bought an Aixiz module from hightechdeals. I'll make a trip to Radio shack soon to pick up the LM317, the 47uF capacitor, and the 1N4001 diode. I should have a suitable pot laying around, and I think I'll use about a 10ohm resistance, maybe a little less, so I'll max out around 150ma (theoretically). Like I said, I'll be using a pot so I can always turn it down from there. I might even go with a smaller resistance because after some more reading I've seen that some guys have pushed these to about 200ma, and I might like to be able to run it that high every once in a while. Pictures will come as the parts come in :)

EDIT: I just realized this was in the wrong section, that there is a separate section for blu-ray lasers. Can a mod move it please?

jayrob

Both are excellent drivers.

For a rkcstr driver and a blu-ray, 9 volts will be the perfect supply voltage.

For a FlexDrive, because it is a boost circuit, you can use between 2.5 volts and 5.5 volts. So if you want to use a leadlight with normal AAA batteries, you will need a FlexDrive.

I believe that a rkcstr driver would work in a leadlight/blu-ray using 2 X 3.6 volt 10440 batteries.
Jay

daguin

hhspunter said:
some guys have pushed these to about 200ma, and I might like to be able to run it that high every once in a while.

When you go above about 165mA you are entering dangerous territory ;)

Also, turning the current up and down is NOT recommended

Set it and forget it

Peace,
dave

daguin said:

Set it and forget it

Peace,
dave

I highly recommend a dab of epoxy or a drop of wax. We use a dab of epoxy when building systems as it gives us a good indication if someone has screwed with the configuration. I've also found that discovering ranch salad dressing inside is another indication they are not as careful as they should be.

diachi

If you want to go much above 140mA for an 803T you're going to want a heat sink or a duty cycle .

I've also found that discovering ranch salad dressing inside is another indication they are not as careful as they should be.

;D ;D

-Adam

LOL@Ranch Dressing!

Efficiency wise, which driver would you recommend? DIY or already-made? If the latter one, which is the most efficient one?

I think Dr Lava and Ryan should get togather and make
the DR- ROCKSTAR Driver ;D ok i have been here at work since 3am i'll shut up now

rkcstr

lol, we're not far apart... he's in Cleveland, I'm in Toledo, about 100mi.  But, I'm just an a hobbyist and DIYer, he actually is trained in what he does, so I think he'd be more help to me than I to him ;)

daguin said:
[quote author=hhspunter link=1220734215/0#4 date=1220763198]some guys have pushed these to about 200ma, and I might like to be able to run it that high every once in a while.

When you go above about 165mA you are entering dangerous territory ;)

Set it and forget it

Peace,
dave[/quote]
I think the straw that broke the camel's back for me to build a laser (and purchase parts!) was when my physics professor said he wanted us to get laser pointers for the lectures (he does unofficial quizzes to check our understanding, he wants us to use the laser pointer to point to the correct answer). I always wanted to build one and now I have a legitimate reason to. So I would like to be able to turn down the power for class, so I don't blind anyone. I now think I'll make the maximum current be somewhere around 150 mA, which means (if I'm using the lm317) the resistor should be 8.33 Ohms, or however close I can get it. I'm thinking I'd like to be able to turn it down to about 5mW (my professor said that's the legal limit). Will a blu-ray diode work with this small amount of power?

And about the not adjusting the current, why is it not recommended? I remember reading that the pressure from the screwdriver can cause funny things to happen with the pot, but why else is it not suggested?

My parts are in the mail, I'm excited!

EDIT: Okay I just reread about adjusting the pot, and from what I read, there are problems when you adjust the pot while the laser is running. So if I turn it off, adjust, measure current, turn off, adjust, measure, etc, will it be okay?

Also, what current would correspond to 5mA?