Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Black lasers!

Freyth

Heh. Black lasers are real.

In a little place called "dreamland"!

Anyway, won't it be cool though? To have a black laser. Although you probably won't be able to see it at night.

Freyth

Naww. We don't have any UFO channels here. Well I don't cause I don't have cable tv! :mad:

rofl...that would be so awsome...but would it like take away light?? make things darker? lol that would b tight

S

SenKat

Yeah - BLACK is the absence of light, so I guess it would absorb light from anything you pointed it at ! LOL I don't think it would burn too well - although what would happen if you shone a high powered green through the black beam ? Would it come out the other side ? Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Gerald

A black laser would be awesome. I hope they make one soon. Or maybe when i'm like 60 years old will I get to see one ::)

You could buy like 10 and shine it at a lightbulb to make the room dark!

Other than that, I don't see much use of it. Can it temporarily steal someone's vision?

Heh, sorry Gerald, but at least with out current understanding of physics, a black laser is not only impossible, but the phrase "black laser beam" itself doesn't even make sense. Damn physics... keeps screwing us over doesn't it? First I can't have a non-diverging laser, then I can't have a black laser, what next? I bet soon some jerk, lab-coat wearing physicist is gunna explain that rainbows aren't really magical constructs that form around pots of leprechaun gold.

well, it would have to emit shadows, ya, probably 0 burning power, but if you think about it, if you shone it in someone's eyes, their eyes might be tempraraly dark

SenKat said:
Yeah - BLACK is the absence of light, so I guess it would absorb light from anything you pointed it at ! LOL I don't think it would burn too well - although what would happen if you shone a high powered green through the black beam ? Would it come out the other side ? Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Lol, pocket Black Hole.

S

SenKat

WOW - this discussion painfully reminds me about that reality show, "Who wants to be a superhero".

One of hte guys that works for me tried out for that show - he had a great costume (I helped him out a bit with some LED's and some EL wire) but his "story" lacked a great bit of substance...he had a prtable gravity generator on his back - could produce black holes at will, etc....and you guys though I was weird ! LOL !!!!!

tomcat

the only thing that would be in the looseest of terms similar would be a "blacklight" laser ( mid UV)

sunburn laser anyone??? you could really hurt someone with a 1w uv laser

You could really hurt someone with a 1w anything laser :)

But still, write something on sb. arm, not with ink but with a sunburn, sounds cool (except if it is your arm...

still, al small black dot will not really get noticed...and even if these were @1W, you'd need about one hundred to "kill" a 100W bulb...

Still, does certain "wavelengths" still apply? Because, take it you can absorb a special wavelength, set that to low IR or radiowave, and whoop-dee-doo, you have zero heat signature or a "blind-the-radar-hidenseek"-beam.

Esp. cool about the "cancel IR" part, as you could cool things with that (so much about burning power, maybe freeze a balloon until it pops?!?).

Other side of the spectrum: create a UV-free zone...have 100% UV-protection on the beach.
Stop Gamma-Radiation, move freely at Chernobyl :)

Wouldn't that thing create energy instead of use it? Yeah, I know that "create" is wrong, but you get my point.
So you could use it to decrease a laser's power, say for adjusting or sth.

Still, would be cool!

I presume black laser means a laser with a black colored dot and beam. Let's speculate.

Hmm if there was a black laser, wouldn't the black beam technically reflect off all black surfaces. Sounds paradoxical considering that black surfaces are supposed to absorb visible light which means a black laser would not be emitting in the visible range.

And you would expect a black dot on a white wall. But white reflects all visible wave lengts and more. So a black laser must have the property of making a white surface absorb all visible wavelength.

Scatters off particles in the air so beam appears black. This means it makes particles absorb visible light. Same as the above point actually

Possibilities:
super duper infinitely high pressure black ink coherent squirter physically reflects off all surfaces and leaves black dots =) You can even see the black "beam" clearly!

some non-visible low frequency very long wavelength laser with enough power to destroy white surfaces so they are unable to reflect but burn them black. Sounds like an far ir laser to me. Doesn't scatter since wavelength is very long so beam is not visible.

uv/x-ray/gamma ray laser which BURNS!!! technically the beam might be so bright since it will cause lots of scattering radiation but it think it will burn stuff black nicely given enough power.

Portable blackhole/line generator like mentioned above.

Anti-phase interference beam. highly unlikely.

Anti-photon laser anyone. It always bugs me how the photon doesn't have an anti particle. at least none that has been experimentally observed.

Personally I think the black ink/vapor/plasma squirter is the best bet for simulating a black laser. Hell, make it superfluid and squirt ii so it comes out all coherent and we might even get a black speckly effect! Too bad it's not really light.

wow i had no idea you guys were as into theoretical physics as I was. And im 15.

Theoretically a black laser is possible. But it would have to be powered by nuclear fission, or another source of protons.
Because a photon is similar to an electron, we can assume that to negate a photon, we need an antiphoton. So to power said black laser, or daser, (dark) we would need not a source of electrons (make photons) but their opposite, protons (generate antiphotons).
Therefore, source of protons + lasing cavity = dark laser. However the protons would destabililse matter by pairing with atoms' electrons. So a dark laser is possible, if you build it out of antimatter which would have protons on the outside and electrons in the middle. :-/
Antimatter laser, anyone? Bit of a bugger to carry in your pocket without destroying the known universe, though.

BlueFusion said:
wow i had no idea you guys were as into theoretical physics as I was. And im 15.

Theoretically a black laser is possible. But it would have to be powered by nuclear fission, or another source of protons.
Because a photon is similar to an electron, we can assume that to negate a photon, we need an antiphoton. So to power said black laser, or daser, (dark) we would need not a source of electrons (make photons) but their opposite, protons (generate antiphotons).
Therefore, source of protons + lasing cavity = dark laser. However the protons would destabililse matter by pairing with atoms' electrons. So a dark laser is possible, if you build it out of antimatter which would have protons on the outside and electrons in the middle. :-/
Antimatter laser, anyone? Bit of a bugger to carry in your pocket without destroying the known universe, though.

Erm. Sorry to burst your bubble but protons are NOT anti particles of photons!!!
And anti-matter is NOT protons outside and electrons in the middle.
At 15, high school physics should teach you enough to know these two facts so I really
A photon is not similar to an electron.
Wonder about your interest in theoretical physics!
By the way take my black laser comments with a huge pinch of salt.

For a simple overview on the Standard Model of particle physics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_model
OK not that simple but it makes for a good read even for high school students.
I know I sure found all this stuff immensely interesting when I was 16.
Now I'm majoring physics in college. :p