Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bismuth metal crystals

So as i was browsing on the internet i came across these "bismuth crystals"
Apparently if bismuth metal cools down, after being heated to a molten state, it forms these really cool looking stairs like crystals in different colors.

Bismuth metal on wiki: Bismuth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bismuth crystal images on google: bismuth crystal - Google zoeken

I wanted to know if any of you guys ( or girls;) ) tried to make these crystals, i wanna go try it some day and was hoping any one could share some tips perhaps:p have looked some op on youtube but those just dont seem to get results as good as some shown on several sites.

There are also crystals for sale on eekbay, but as a person who loves to craft stuff himself i really wanna try make some myself:D

how to make those crystals?

on youtube there are several video's on how to.
but simply explained:
1. meld the metal in a container
2. wait until you can see it starting to cool down ( tapping against the container will show you if its still liquid or if its going solid again )
3. when it starts to go solid again drain out all of the still molten metal
4. there should be some hard left overs in the container which should have some nice pieces of those crystals.

its the structure of the metal that gives it that unique look when it goes solid again.

im sure you wouldnt get the best results this way but its one of the ways it can be tested easily at home.

A more impressive method is to use a seed crystal

Great find! thats an awesome video.
really wanna try this myself to, but it seems that this metal can get pretty expensive around here :cryyy: think ill go look international now :eek:

Last edited:
A month ago i found a website where they sell nearly all elements from the PSE:
smart-elements GmbH - High purity element samples for science and collection
I also like the colorful look of bismuth!
There are some other fascinating elements...check it out ;)

Look here: smart-elements GmbH - High purity element samples for science and collection ;)

Cool ill have a look.
And yes some of these crystals have great colors, really funny that these colors appear from such a dull colored metal:D

P.s.
Those acrilic cubes they sell are pretty cool to, and all the prices seem decend

Last edited:
I would like to have these acrylic cubes too but for me they are way too pricy :D
Maybe when i hit the jackpot i'll get some ;)

Last edited:

Benm

Those are quite pretty. I've cast some bismuth before, but if you do that it just forms whatever shape you wanted to cast.

Its a bit of an unusual metal as the solid is less dense than the liquid, giving very typical teardrop shaped pellets. Perhaps its possible to fashion a seed crystal by cutting on of those pellets - good thing to try next time i cast some.