Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bird Scarer, help & advice, please

His neighbors Guinea hens are no different than owning chickens-geese etc--they are not wild birds- (BTW unless they are young they would not be very good to eat)--and there is a big diff when you talk about a dog crapping on yr doorstep every day --c'mon-

-I really think that if he ignored the birds like a nearby train-or airport-or sewer plant in time he would not notice them as much-- there is a big diff between illegal and immoral--respect for life- even that of a snake or vulture -or possum or skunk is how I live-

-just like reckless use of lasers- shooting anything someone does not like will get our guns taken away some day-- what if he accidently hits one of his neighbors horses?? or worse his kids-??-

I am fine shooting tincans and paper targets- I throw a rock at my neighbors dog- just to get his attention- I am a lousy rock-thrower!!!! digging in my yard is not a capital offence--IMHO

It would be great if something would scare them away form this man's property so he could get some rest ! the problem herein is they get used to noise and flashing lights as soon as they discover that is all it is. you would have to stand out there and scare them away in person to be effective and the man wants some rest he dosn't want to be a scare crow.
If his neighbor realy was interested in the birds he would trap them and clip one wing so they couldnt fly away then he have them at his barn all the time and once he starts feeding them they would tend to stay around so he could eat them :crackup:

they kind of are pets. Didn't he say his neighbor trys to get them to hang out in his barn?

anyways, not an everyday sort of thread, so I'm keepin my eye on it. Interesting!

maybe a light on a motion sensor or something like that. Light can be in your yard and still hit his.

OK so don't stand up for your rights it's no sweat off my elbo.
Last you will here from me on this !

His neighbors Guinea hens are no different than owning chickens-geese etc--they are not wild birds- (BTW unless they are young they would not be very good to eat)--and there is a big diff when you talk about a dog crapping on yr doorstep every day --c'mon-

-I really think that if he ignored the birds like a nearby train-or airport-or sewer plant in time he would not notice them as much-- there is a big diff between illegal and immoral--respect for life- even that of a snake or vulture -or possum or skunk is how I live-

-just like reckless use of lasers- shooting anything someone does not like will get our guns taken away some day-- what if he accidently hits one of his neighbors horses?? or worse his kids-??-

I am fine shooting tincans and paper targets- I throw a rock at my neighbors dog- just to get his attention- I am a lousy rock-thrower!!!! digging in my yard is not a capital offence--IMHO

Benm

I'd seriously consider poison in this case.

It might not be legal to poison these birds, but that doesnt have to be a problem. If you were to get caught (not likely), you could always explain that you were in fact trying to eradicate a rat problem, and that the bird deaths were accidental.

Most rat poisons would also be effective on birds, as long as you get them to eat the stuff.

As for poisoning being cruel: It does lead to a painful death and wouldn't be my first choice to kill any creature. Sometimes for practical, or legal, reasons it is the only viable method left. Just shooting the birds would be much more humane, but if it gets you in serious trouble with the law, its not really an alternative.

Last edited:
Buy a fully automatic airsoft rifle. The BB's wont do any serious damage and as a bonus you get to shoot at them. Also if its fully auto you don't have to worry about missing that much cause you'll probably miss a lot but you wont have to worry about single firing and missing. you can also get a laser sight or attach any laser to your gun. Double the scare!

My grandpa bought a Daisy single pump BB gun for squirrels. it doesn't kill them it just scares them off.

I'd seriously consider poison in this case.

It might not be legal to poison these birds, but that doesnt have to be a problem. If you were to get caught (not likely), you could always explain that you were in fact trying to eradicate a rat problem, and that the bird deaths were accidental.

Most rat poisons would also be effective on birds, as long as you get them to eat the stuff.

As for poisoning being cruel: It does lead to a painful death and wouldn't be my first choice to kill any creature. Sometimes for practical, or legal, reasons it is the only viable method left. Just shooting the birds would be much more humane, but if it gets you in serious trouble with the law, its not really an alternative.
Problem with poison is that anything might eat it. And 'it' might just crawl under your house and die there!! PWHEW!!---here is a link for the OP-- much cheaper and definetly more humane---
Save 15% On Your Entire Order* | Owl Decoys 1 | Gempler's not illegal -quiet and kind--- to Gods creatures.

just re-read the OP and stand corrected. Avery said the neighbor claimed they were not his-and ok to shoot them- while they may very well be feral they IIRC are native to Africa. From much experience I can say that they can be very loud and very annoying.

Never ate one but I bet they 'taste like chicken'=== I still say get the large plastic owl decoy -either the one with the moving head or wings that move in the wind.

Maybe you could borrow a live trap from your local wildlife rescue and sell or give them to somebody who lives far far away from you. Good luck--hak

Personally I would try the decoy idea, Perhaps an airsoft gun with a laser sight on it would cause the birds to associate the laser with getting shot at???

As for the dogs, (sorry but I have to) my neighbor has a rottweiler who crossed over the property line and attacked my puppy! I kicked that friggin rot in the ribs so hard it knocked the dog over. Then I screamed at the neighbor and told them if I ever see that mutt in my yard again, I would toss the carcass back over the line!

Every situation has it's own unique set of circumstances and has to be treated accordingly.

I am all about animals and animal rights, but when certain circumstances warrant, lethal force may become necessary.

Even if I did not personally eat the birds, I would at least donate them to someone who will eat them or use the meat to feed another species.

Poisons - I am against any use of poisons, however when a pack of wild rats decided that they liked my house better than outside, I had no choice but to kill them however I could. Traps were futile, they just tripped them and stole the bait.

Good luck with your problem, another option may be to get a pet anaconda (natural bird eaters) and feed the birds to your snake.

Whenever the birds wake YOU up, go over there and wake HIM up. Simple, but it may work.

Whenever the birds wake YOU up, go over there and wake HIM up. Simple, but it may work.
yes-- but his neighbor 'claims' the guineas are not his-thus,perhaps, his desire for them to migrate over there. Who knows who the original owers is/was-- they fend for themselves quite well-

yesterday a lady called me to remove some snakes from her backyard -where she keeps 120+ birds including several guinea fowl-- two were DOA =both copperheads and she is sure that the guineas stomped the snakes to death( they were hung up in some plastic netting she has strung out to keep her biddies from straying) the other two were non-poisoness- one blue racer and a big coachwhip -both very dehydrated but when released looked OK. she gives me all the eggs I want--payback time.
-

This thread is more than 1 year old... do not post in it unless its relevant...

I do not think "consulting a bird removal company" is a useful post.

Do not post stupid comments in old threads.