Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Big Bang Theory S07E05 - Laser Balloon Popping

OK, if you've seen the latest Big bang theory. At the very end they pop a ballon with a laser.

I'm thinking it's bogus the way it's presented.

They have a laser breadboard on a cart with a power supply, and two wires running to a head. Definitely looks like a HeNe.

It puts out a green beam. A blue balloon is tossed in the air, the laser is aimed at a Blue balloon and POP.

Too many things that don't jive.
For a green HeNe to pop a blue ballon in mid air can't happen.

My best guess is they have a high powered green diode laser in the tube and use that.

Or it's totally fake.

Comments.

Grix

Reality check: Most things in movies are fake. When you start to become knowledgeable about a subject you'll see how much Hollywood shits on it. The biggest example is probably defibrillators. In movies it's always the first thing they try after a patient's heart stops. In reality it doesn't work that way. Defibrillators can not be used to restart hearts that have stopped. They can only be used to stabilize arrhythmic heartbeats. During cardiac arrest, the only thing that works is CPR

Last edited:

sinner

One thing i also noticed, There was smoke/fog created in the room to enhance the color so one thing is for sure it wasnt powerful enough..

er4v.png

4yto.png

The laser beam apears to be in a smokey room,
But the room is not smokey...

Also the baloon doesn't apear to be poping in the posisition it is being intersected by the laser

Last edited:

ARG

Why do they need a newport optical breadboard? They are using it as a table :p

Looks like a HeNe to me, would need more power than that to pop a balloon.

daguin

In an earlier episode, they were shooting a laser at the moon

The "laser" was two separate small air cooled heads

One was just placed in front of the other to make it look "bigger"

I wonder, since they're done with it, if I can haz the table?

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Things

At least they're using real lasers, I guess. They could be fake props :D

If you look at those screen caps the beam isn't even coming out of the laser straight.

But from a TV standpoint it makes sense. Its cheaper for them to get a VFX guy to make a laser beam post-prod. Not to mention think of how powerful a laser they would need for the beam to be that visible in a brightly lit studio. They can't just wave around a several watt laser in a room full of people and cameras.

TBBT used to be more scientific in the beginning. Now it's just a regular sitcom... still funny, but not nerdy enough :p

Tmack

Man.. Really getting that forum feeling guys!!!! :p jk it is a funny show