Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Best rechargable AAA batteries for Nova laser?

360freak

Suprisingly, in the time that I've had my X45, I've used alkaline batteries...and a million of them at that. Could someone show me the best rechargable AAAs that I can get for my laser? (preferably not DX because of shipping)

VillageIdiot

Banned
sanyo eneloops

They're a low self-discharge NiMH battery which means they have a long shelf life. They're ideal for laser pointers for other reasons I can't be bothered and probably can't explain anyway.

freshert

Sadly eneloops don't work well in my optotronics 30mw pen laser. Energizer rechargeable batteries work really well though. :D

Dr_Evil

I would have to say the Sanyo Eneloops even though I haven't used the AAAs. The AAs seem to work great in my other electronics though.

freshert said:
Sadly eneloops don't work well in my optotronics 30mw pen laser. Energizer rechargeable batteries work really well though. :D
I haven't tried the Sanyos in my Optotronics 5mW pointer. I have tried the Energizers though and they didn't work very well. I talked to Jack and he said rechargables in general don't work very good with them. The Energizer lithiums work great though.

360freak

The rechargables don't put out any less voltage than the disposables, right?

Petrovski

360freak said:
The rechargables don't put out any less voltage than the disposables, right?
They do. A rechargeable NiMH AA(A) will put out 1.2V, an alkaline model 1.5V.

FireMyLaser

A fresh NiMH put out 1.4V. ;)

I use Varta NiMH 1000mAh for my x125 and it works better than alkalines.

360freak

If they put out less voltage then I'm not so sure I want them if it's going to reduce the power output of my laser.

Petrovski

So far, every laser I have performs better with high power rechargeable NiMHs when compared to alkalines. When you measure both types of batteries with a multimeter in "idle" state, you'll find the alkaline has a higher voltage than the NiMH. But as soon as the batteries need to power a device that requires a high current, the alkaline voltage will drop at a steady rate. The voltage of the NiMH will stay almost the same.