Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best CD burner to buy for strongest red laser

Hey guys, I was just wondering which cd burner from newegg would give me the most powerful red laser?

thanks!

jayrob

GooeyGus said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering which cd burner from newegg would give me the most powerful red laser?

thanks!

This is the one to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118003
The Sony NEC Optiarc. Keep watching the page. It seems that they drop the price down to $23 bucks with free shipping every week or so, then back up.

It is an open can diode, so you have to be extra careful with the handling. But it is the HOT diode to get. We're running them at 420mA's, and getting about 250mW's in an acrylic lens or, about 300mW's in a Meredith glass lens. (heatsinked)
Jay

Gazoo

clwatkins10 said:
so, why are open can diodes called HOT diodes?

You asked a question that has already been answered in the previous post by Jay. In other words, the open can is the only cheap diode we can safely get 300mw's or more from. So it is considered a "hot" diode.

Also, one quick thing, this has been covered, but you need a DVD burner, not a CD burner, for a red diode. CD burning diodes are infrared, DVD burning diodes are red, blu-ray burning diodes are blue/violet.

The DVD burners will have both a red and an IR diode (for CD burning), so you should also be careful because of this.

so, why does a cd burner use ir and a dvd burner use red?

Gazoo said:
[quote author=clwatkins10 link=1205042885/0#3 date=1205043305]so, why are open can diodes called HOT diodes?

You asked a question that has already been answered in the previous post by Jay. In other words, the open can is the only cheap diode we can safely get 300mw's or more from. So it is considered a "hot" diode.

[/quote]
oh, sorry, i didnt remember asking that before, thanks for answering it a second time

So basically, the faster a drive can burn a dvd, the stronger the diode will be?

clwatkins: IR is cheaper and existed before red diodes. However the wavelength is the smallest the dot can be. So the first optical drives were made like this. Down the track when red diodes became mass producable, someone decided to use them to get a smaller spot and hence smaller tracks, hence more tracks and more data. Same for 405nm / BluRay.