Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best Batteries

I have looked at a number of threads regarding batteries, especially the one in which nwfreefly did some comparisons. However, I am still not sure what the best, most reliable brand is to get. I tried the link on that post for a list but it was dead.

I assume that it is best to use batteries that have protection even with the high current drain that the diodes require.

Panasonic and Sony if you can find them

Then, what about the testing with nitecore?

Also, am I correct that protection shouold always be used?

The other day I was at Radio Shack (AKA Radio Junk,) and happened to see a pair of 26650s on sale for 9.98 and picked them up. Ihave not opened the package because I wanted an opinion as to whether or not they are worth keeping. They are made by Deworld Digital Energy World

I assume that it is best to use batteries that have protection even with the high current drain that the diodes require.

Li-Ion can be with or without protection, but if you need high current batteries the Li-Mn are capable of higher current and I've never seen any that are protected. There is disagreement about protection. Most of our diodes require a high enough voltage that you can't over dran the batteries before the driver will drop out of regulation and you have a power drop. This is not true with red, IR, and DPSS lasers, they operate at a much lower voltage even though they may require high current.

Then, what about the testing with nitecore?

Also, am I correct that protection shouold always be used?

The other day I was at Radio Shack (AKA Radio Junk,) and happened to see a pair of 26650s on sale for 9.98 and picked them up. Ihave not opened the package because I wanted an opinion as to whether or not they are worth keeping. They are made by Deworld Digital Energy World

Nitecore batteries are also considered good quality. I have never heard of that Deworld brand but $9.98 is too cheap for 2 of those, but Radio Shack is going out of business, wasn't it clearance priced? The batteries to avoid are those cheap generic blue ones with no brand name, and Ultrafire are also of the lowest quality, they can be less than 1/3d the capacity in mAh that's printed on the battery, also the other brands with fire in the name are cheap and considered to be of lower quality than other brands.

Alan