Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Best Bang for the buck

VVaI2LoCk

hey guys getting ready to make a purchase. Looking for an after christmas sale. Who's got the best bang for the buck and or who's got a good coupon I can use?

I would prefer a green laser 200-300+mw

VVaI2LoCk

What's your budget?
Well it would really depend on the capabilities of the laser. Looking for a laser that can do the most things at the cheapest cost.

Here is a list of things I would like it to do.
1) Pop balloons from 8ft.
2) Light a match
3) Start a fire from dry kindle
4) Distress Signal or be able to travel distances of 10 miles or so.

So budget would be around $150 but would double that if I found something that did it all hence the title Best Bang for the Buck.

InfinitusEquitas

Hmm, well, from those four, the hardest thing to do would be to start a fire from dry kindle, and to pop a balloon from 8 feet.

Overall, I'd say a 1W+ 445nm laser would work best for you.

A green laser would also work well, except for balloon pop from 8 feet, and obviously fire starting.

Would this be your first laser?

TheDukeAnumber1

There is a group buy going on right now and you can get a quality and likely overspec 300mw green for under $150, a bit over after shipping.

Best bang for buck though would probably be the 150mw green pen in the group buy.

Last edited:

VVaI2LoCk

Hmm, well, from those four, the hardest thing to do would be to start a fire from dry kindle, and to pop a balloon from 8 feet.

Overall, I'd say a 1W+ 445nm laser would work best for you.

A green laser would also work well, except for balloon pop from 8 feet, and obviously fire starting.

Would this be your first laser?
Would a Blue laser pop a balloon better at 8ft as compared to a green laser of similar capabilities?

It's not technically my first laser but I want to get a bit more into the hobby. So for all intensive purposes I'm a total noob. I have several cheapie fleamarket gold lasers with all sorts of various fittings and a couple pen lasers that I use for customer presentations.

There is a group buy going on right now and you can get a quality and likely over spec 300mw green for under $150, a bit over after shipping.

Best bang for buck though would probably be the 150mw green pen in the group buy.
Do you have a link to the GROUP BUY? I may be all over that. I'd rather go over specked as I typically have higher expectations for things. So this way I wont be disappointed.

Last edited:

InfinitusEquitas

Would a Blue laser pop a balloon better at 8ft as compared to a green laser of similar capabilities?

It's not technically my first laser but I want to get a bit more into the hobby. So for all intensive purposes I'm a total noob. I have several cheapie fleamarket gold lasers with all sorts of various fittings and a couple pen lasers that I use for customer presentations.
It depends on the qualities of the green laser. To pop a balloon at a distance, either a 1W+ 445nm laser would work, or a 400mW+ 405nm laser.

Green would also work, at the same powers, but not quite as well, since it's reflected more.