Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bench power supply

Rifter

Im looking for one as well so im very interested if anyone has used this unit.

Everything I have read says stay away from the cheap Chinese PSU's as there power on ripple spike is more than enough to fry something as sensitive as a laser diode and I should get a mastech or B&K Precision but those two brands are both $$$$$$.

I'd get a Mastech if I could source one locally, but local stores only sell local brands which I also don't trust. And they're not cheap either..

I'd have to pay 2x the price to buy a Mastech on ebay due to international shipping. Chinese sellers usually have free or very cheap shipping.

Edit: doesn't even have to be this unit/brand. Anything with cheap shipping would be OK :p

Last edited:
Without knowing anything about electrical/thermal performance, I see 3 problems already:

Banana jacks on BACK?
UI is terrible. 1 knob for everything is just asking for user error.
Included leads are useless for anything over 1/2A (30awg)

I have a feeling its not a good one.. I have a Chinese psu I got off ebay for 65 dollars that works well I have had several members look at the stat sheet and say its ok for a beginner psu you want some thing that at least 30 v at 5 amps to start with and have fine adjust knobs this one does not

Rifter

I have a feeling its not a good one.. I have a Chinese psu I got off ebay for 65 dollars that works well I have had several members look at the stat sheet and say its ok for a beginner psu you want some thing that at least 30 v at 5 amps to start with and have fine adjust knobs this one does not

the issue is stats cant be trusted on cheap PSU's. I almost purchased this unit

30V 5A 110V DC Power Supply Precision Variable Adjustable Digital LAB Grade 305D | eBay

But then I seen a scope shot of it overshooting set voltage by over a full volt on power up.

Damn. Guess I'll never have a bench supply after all. I still welcome any suggestions that can be shipped reasonably.

Does anyone know of other good brands?

Rifter

Damn. Guess I'll never have a bench supply after all. I still welcome any suggestions that can be shipped reasonably.

Does anyone know of other good brands?

Are you in the US? have a amazon prime account?

As I said before I'm not in the US, that's the root of 90% of all my DIY/hobby problems.

Rifter

As I said before I'm not in the US, that's the root of 90% of all my DIY/hobby problems.

Im in Canada and its bad here too. If you are in Canada let me know where as I have found a few mastech suppliers across the country here but it doesn't do me any good none are within driving distance of me.

Last edited:

IWIRE

Mine is a cheap 10a version I got from fleabay. I didn't know if I would stick with this hobby when I got into it so I didn't want to spend a lot. I think I paid $85 for it. I don't have a way to scope it and I'm sure I'd probably be disappointed if I did. But checking the volts and the amps is spot on when checked with a Fluke meter. Not sure if it overshoots when first turned on or not. I never turn it on hooked to anything. So far it hasn't fried anything.

Allow me to bump my own topic. Haven't bought a bench supply yet, but one popped up locally for a reasonable price with the following specs:

32V/5A

CV
-Line regulation: <= (0.01%+3mV).
-Load regulation: <= (0.01%+2mV).
-Ripple & noise: <= 1mV RMS.

CC
-Line regulation: 0 ~ 5A <= (1%+3mA).
-Load regulation: <= (0.1%+10mA).
-Ripple & noise: <= 3mA RMS.

Display
-4 digits.
-Precision: <= ± (1.0% of reading + 2 digits).
-Voltage resolution: 0.1V.
-Current resolution: 0.01A.
(I think these resolution specs are wrong, the photo looks like 0.01V and 0.001A)

phpThumb.php

Do you guys think this is good enough for laser work?

Looks better than the other one at least. You'll never know if it's safe unless you test it with a scope, or find someone else who has. The chinese tend to treat CC operation as more of a rough current limit, rather than actual constant current. Nobody checks that, and very few people have the need for clean constant current, so they skimp.

It's probably made in China but it's being sold locally with warranty, if the specs are way off I can probably do a return.

That said, assuming the specs are correct, is it good enough or should I keep looking?