Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Been searching, But no results... help?

mdjd07

Well I ordered my bluray diode in an axiz module from hightechdealz, and I ordered a rkcstr driver. I will be building a lab style (labbie) but I am unclear on how to power it. Im assuming that i just use an ac/dc adapter? Like a phone charger or something that takes the 120 wall socket volts to an output of 9 voltz? Can someone help me out here please? Thanks!

With a little bit of searching, you can see that the rckstr must be powered with at least 2 volt's more than what your diode draws. But the input voltage limit is about 12V if I remember correctly.

So... 5V+2V = Between 7-12 volts are needed to power your driver.

Make sure that your power supply has enough current capacity as well, or your laser's power will sag. Is this diode a PHR? If so, I recommend at least 350mA capacity on the wall wart... just to be safe.

mdjd07

With a little bit of searching, you can see that the rckstr must be powered with at least 2 volt's more than what your diode draws. But the input voltage limit is about 12V if I remember correctly.

So... 5V+2V = Between 7-12 volts are needed to power your driver.

Make sure that your power supply has enough current capacity as well, or your laser's power will sag. Is this diode a PHR? If so, I recommend at least 350mA capacity on the wall wart... just to be safe.

I have just searched thru 15 page...I already know about the driver. Im asking what kind of power source I am suposed to use for a plug in the wall style labby... I think your telling me to use a phone charger like power supply with more than 350ma? yes its a phr-803t

Be a bit carefull on the wall adapters, the voltage output isn't that clean or acurate to the supposed voltage. I don't about the PSRR of the rkcstr though.

These new compact adapters are generally switching type supplies and rather well regulated.

Go to the local thrift store, check the power adapters for answering machines, cordless phones and such.

An adapter of 9 volts rated at 500ma or more will do just fine.

Some chargers are "pulse mode" (great for charging, but too noisy for other applications)

Radio shack sells a nice beefy adapter with multiple output voltages, just set the switch, it has 1 amp available to use.

mdjd07

These new compact adapters are generally switching type supplies and rather well regulated.

Go to the local thrift store, check the power adapters for answering machines, cordless phones and such.

An adapter of 9 volts rated at 500ma or more will do just fine.

Some chargers are "pulse mode" (great for charging, but too noisy for other applications)

Radio shack sells a nice beefy adapter with multiple output voltages, just set the switch, it has 1 amp available to use.

Thank you very much! This clears up my question. I cant wait to get this project started...My diode and driver will be here in 2-4 days. I just need to get goggles, wall adapter, and machine myself a host (im a cnc machinist):D