Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam splitter

I am looking to split a beam (from say... 457-514nm) into two equal beams. what is the cheapest place to obtain a cube that can do this for me?

Depending on the diameter of the beam you're splitting, you could get some decent results with some of the larger cubes from GGW/LPC/KES sleds. The PHR sleds contain cubes, but they're too small. The coatings may be a bit narrow-banded, but most of them should give you a 50/50 split at the wavelengths you specified.

I was gonna answer this question with basically the same answer that ElektroFreak gave you, so I'll just have to agree with him  :) He just answered quicker than I did, but I'm quite sure that this info. is right on the nose  ;) Good job Pat, I guess you type a lot faster than I do  :)............rob

Well, electrofreak should be getting a package in the mail tomorrow that has a small cube in it from me.

If he can test it with multiple lasers, we may know if it would work for what you want.

If it can, I can pull another from one of our scrapped copiers and send it to you, free of charge.

I might have to pick one up from opto. Of the 6 various tiny cubes I pulled from sleds, 5 seem to be dichroic and the sixth polarized.

I am also looking for a PBS to combine two LOC 650nm beams into one. Can anyone give some input? Thanks
Laserjock

Thanks ElektroFreak,
I was looking for just the PBS. I have everything else. That kit is impressive though.
I ended up finding a 15mm PBS yesterday for $25. I was hoping to pay less, but that isn't too bad.

Optotronics I guess? Let me know how it works. The same guy that made the kit also sells individual cubes for $50 and they are much bigger than 15mm..

FYI... I ordered a PBS for my new projector to combine two red diodes from Optotronics.com for $25. It arrived Saturday, but when I tested it with my pointers I couldn't get to redirect the beam by rotating the pointer. After some head scratching I used a pair of polarizing sunglasses to verify that my pointers were actually polarized. I then rotated the cube while wearing the sunglasses. No change. A second look at the web site revealed that the PCB is not a Polarized Beam Splitter, but a Precision Beam Splitter. This is a little deceiving if you ask me.

http://optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=p-0003

Now I'm on the prowel for a PBS Polarized Beam Splitter. Cheep
So far the best I could find was $50
Any help would be appreciated.

^The cube that bschott sent me is a type of lens, not a beamsplitter. He also send me a laser diode heatsink assembly that has potential to be used with a red LOC of mine.

As far as your question, lazerjock, there's a thread in the BST section that has what you want: http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22632

Well that's good to know at least :) I wasn't sure if that was lens or a splitter since I didn't have a laser on hand to test it with (I leave all my lasers at home, never take any with me out of the house).

FYI... I ordered a PBS for my new projector to combine two red diodes from Optotronics.com for $25. It arrived Saturday, but when I tested it with my pointers I couldn't get to redirect the beam by rotating the pointer. After some head scratching I used a pair of polarizing sunglasses to verify that my pointers were actually polarized. I then rotated the cube while wearing the sunglasses. No change. A second look at the web site revealed that the PCB is not a Polarized Beam Splitter, but a Precision Beam Splitter. This is a little deceiving if you ask me.

http://optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=p-0003

Now I'm on the prowel for a PBS Polarized Beam Splitter. Cheep
So far the best I could find was $50
Any help would be appreciated.

yep, you were led astray.

http://microlaserlabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=87&osCsid=1b80db437006a9f5fcc303f2d09b1686