Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam pics of my first build.

Finally got some pics of my first build in action. I think my camera was being generous, the beam looks a little brighter in the pics than it did to my eyes.

Edit: Took pics with a proper lens, I didn't see much difference really. Swapped this over to an S4 host as well.
Edit#2: Added match lighting video. Had to darken the match head with a Sharpie, but it lit! Wife was kind enough to hold the match for me. And of course we were both wearing our laser safet glasses!
DSC03025.jpg

DSC03034.jpg

DSC03032.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02988 (600x450).jpg
    DSC02988 (600x450).jpg
    136 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC02989 (600x450).jpg
    DSC02989 (600x450).jpg
    140 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC02990 (600x450).jpg
    DSC02990 (600x450).jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC02991 (600x450).jpg
    DSC02991 (600x450).jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC02992 (600x450).jpg
    DSC02992 (600x450).jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC02996 (600x450).jpg
    DSC02996 (600x450).jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC02998 (600x450).jpg
    DSC02998 (600x450).jpg
    177 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02994 (600x450).jpg
    DSC02994 (600x450).jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Nice first build!! :beer:
I see you changed your avatar :D

Thanks! It was interesting, glad I was able to make a working laser my first try. I'm already thinking of what to build next, and the one after that, and the one after that...
VisibleGreen hooked me up with that avatar. It is too cool, I had to use it :)

What diode, driver, host, etc.?

C6 host from Survival Laser, picked up the diode and driver from Anomalytech on eBay.
Diode: 405nm 150mW UV Ultraviolet Laser Diode in Aixiz Module w Leads US Seller | eBay
Driver: Constant Current Laser Driver 20 350 Milliamps 405nm 650nm US Seller Fast SHIP | eBay

Anomalytech lists this diode as a 150mW, and advises running it at 130mA. The driver came set at 100mA, I left it as is. I know I'm not getting all the diode can put out, I may look at upping the driver just a tad and see.

Nice. I just got my first 405nm diode the other day. It's the 16x diode from DTR. Don't worry about the brightness of the beam. These 405s are much less visible than 445s, from what I understand. How does it burn? Is it a super tight beam?

I haven't tried burning with it yet. I need better glasses, getting some Eagle Pair next month. I don't trust these cheapies I have now, beyond shining around in the house some. The lens I'm using is the 635-685nm AR coated one from Survival Laser. I originally intended this build to be a 650nm, that fell through. I want to get the 445nm AR glass lens from them , then try burning, and see how the beam does. I can get a pretty good dot from it even so. At night the beam is a lovely violet color, I'm pretty impressed.

hello!!
I am looking at a new build, I want to use the
NUBM44 450nm Laser Diode In Copper Module With The SXD Driver
& 405-G-2 Lens from DTR.
but I am a little confused on what size heat sink I would need could you help me :)

APEX1

congrats it looks very good!!!

hello!!
& 405-G-2 Lens from DTR.
but I am a little confused on what size heat sink I would need could you help me :)

Probably not a good idea! you should stick with something not so powerful until you learn a lot more about the hobby and laser safety etc.. That's not an easy build anyways!

what makes this not an easy build? and what laser would you suggest to start with?
Thanks.

hello!!
& 405-G-2 Lens from DTR.

I agree with Noobphaser! When I read this I literally said "Yikes!" out loud lol! I would love to build something with a NUBM44, but that is a beast of a diode, we are talking major heavy duty. I imagine, as that diode makes some serious power, the heat dissipation requirements are probably pretty stiff. My suggestion? If you want a good first build, go to Budgetbeams.com, pick up his $20 501-B kit, then pick up the diode/module he suggests from DTR. And please please please make sure you have laser safety glasses! Gotta protect your eyes.

Also, think about filling in some more of your profile, location etc. If the members here know where you are, know more about you, it makes it easier to help answer your questions! And if you haven't, write up an introduction post in the appropriate section. We like to get to know our members!

Last edited:
don't worry safety is top of my list. I am an electronics engineer just never came across lasers so I know my way around electronics, I am just looking for some good advice really. I still don't understand why everyone is saying this is to powerful LOL if you are not stupid and have the right glasses on your safe? Shoot me down if I'm wrong...

And ill fill out my profile its a little easier for people :)
thanks

don't worry safety is top of my list. I am an electronics engineer just never came across lasers so I know my way around electronics, I am just looking for some good advice really. I still don't understand why everyone is saying this is to powerful LOL if you are not stupid and have the right glasses on your safe? Shoot me down if I'm wrong...

And ill fill out my profile its a little easier for people :)
thanks

Keep in mind I'm far from an expert, I'm still very much a noob here. Ok, being smart about what you are doing and using proper PPE is definitely high importance. As for any particular laser being powerful, or too powerful, well the NUBM44, from what I have seen, is capable of 6w+ output. We are talking about lighting stuff on fire, like your walls, kitchen table, drapes, etc lol! Maybe not that drastic, but its still like graduating form a BB gun to a bazooka IMO. I started small, bought a few overspec Chinese pens, then 301's in 405nm, 532nm, and 650nm. Picked up a decent 532nm from LaserPointerPro too. Then I built this 405nm. At best it might be around 100mW, and that's a WAG based on what the diode is capable of, and the fact I am running the driver a little lower than optimal current. I started small, I want to work my way into higher powered lasers.
My suggestion, start small. Look at DTR's offerings, maybe pair one of his diodes with a Survival Laser host and driver pill. Build something that doesn't burn the whole neighborhood down the first time you turn it on :evil:

Reactions: GSS
I haven't tried burning with it yet. I need better glasses, getting some Eagle Pair next month. I don't trust these cheapies I have now, beyond shining around in the house some. The lens I'm using is the 635-685nm AR coated one from Survival Laser. I originally intended this build to be a 650nm, that fell through. I want to get the 445nm AR glass lens from them , then try burning, and see how the beam does. I can get a pretty good dot from it even so. At night the beam is a lovely violet color, I'm pretty impressed.

I've got some 3-element lenses for 405 and 445, if that's what you're looking for.

what makes this not an easy build? and what laser would you suggest to start with?
Thanks.

I wouldn't say it's any more difficult, necessarily. But if you destroy the incredibly sensitive diode due to a noob error(I destroyed a $55 diode due to a dumb error, even after I had already built many lasers), you're out $150 with that diode. With that diode, you just have to be absolutely CERTAIN that you have enough heat dissipation built in to the the heatsink AND for the driver. That is a ton of power for a handheld.

Also, I suspect you would get more help if you followed the forum rules, etiquette, etc. Lasers are getting a bad rep lately, so everyone here really wants to know that they aren't helping some immature person who is going to destroy someone's vision or shine at aircraft. They have put these rules and guidelines in place in an effort to lessen the likelihood of helping such a person. Randomly posting "Hey, I want to build a handheld with the most powerful diode available" on a random person's 100mW build thread is a little strange, ya know? Don't take any of this personally. We just want to make sure our incredibly cool hobby doesn't become any more endangered than it already is.

Well I couldn't find anywhere about getting started with what I am interested in so I thought I would jump right in here. sorry I wont do this again. I haven't been rude to anyone just looking for help.

APEX1

still, its just not a good idea. Now, I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything but its just not a good idea lol not only is it a fire hazard not to mention eye safety. work your way up.... nothing wrong with that!!!