Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Battlefield Laser (pew pew pew)

artix

I can't wait until the day where we can buy one of these for $200. ;D

But that will take a looooong time. :eek:

Wait, these things are infrared? I thought that they were red...oh wait, that must have been Northrop Grumman.

-Mark

artix

Why would they make it red?

IR is the cheapest and most efficient.

Balisong

As far as I know, ALL military lasers are going to be IR. Why would you want a visible laser to give away your position?

Murudai

They will make a red version eventually I reckon. It might not be as effective, but if I was a soldier I'd be more scared of a huge red glowing beam blowing up tanks than nothing blowing up tanks. It's a moral thing. :)

(Though, come to think of it, watching a tank explode for no particular reason would freak out the soldiers...)

DTMF

what a waste of money it only hit 1 out of 3 target's . i would like to see it light a flock of bird's on fire in mid flight :Dmmm laser duck

cybob101

hmmm would be hilarious to see the reation on ur oppositions face when their tanks start blowing up for "no reason" god hates u :)

Gee...I wonder when (if- of course, for now they are probably classified!) we'll see videos of that....? Hey, I pay my taxes - the least these defense contractors can do is to provide some cool vids!

But as to whether IR or visible beams would be more effective on a battlefield, all I know is that the very first days I was on the job at that laser shop, seeing apparently "nothing" cut thru solid steel with only a shower of sparks, could, in certain circumstances, be quite frightening! Seeing something (or someone - :eek:) burst into flame for no apparent reason is the stuff of supernatural horror films....that might work very well in battle IMO.

Balisong

The new solid state laser for the f-35 is also quite impressive. I remember the prototype was only 15KW, but I also read that with that power it could burn a whole 1 cm in dia but 2 cm deep in steel in only a few seconds!!! :eek: The actual production version is going to be 100KW....

phoenix77

It's about time that our GOVT. got a STAR WARS TYPE WEAPON, back on track. We will surely need them in the near future :)

Balisong

Its not like they stopped researching them. The US and Russia have been researching directed-energy for quite a few decades now.