Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery safety - leaving batteries in host

Hey guys,

I was wondering how long can you leave a battery in your laser host for? And what are the dangers of leaving the batteries in past that limit?

Thanks,
Ryan

LaZeRz

The only danger of leaving batteries in a host is the risk of a short. And you don't want a battery to explode in a sealed host, potentially creating a pipe bomb.

The only danger of leaving batteries in a host is the risk of a short. And you don't want a battery to explode in a sealed host, potentially creating a pipe bomb.

So it's safe to leave a battery in a host for say... a week? how about a month?

and lol pipe bomb, aluminum shrapnel... oooo... that won't be good.

Some flashlights have drivers that permanantly stay connected to the battery, such as the h6flex.... Which will draink out your batteries over an extended period of time and over discharge them potentially killing them.

As far as lasers go, afaik they all disconnect completely from battery when clicked off... So you dont run those risks... But you could still potentially either short them out and have them vent in a closed container... Or have it light up when you dont want it to... And burn a hole in your pocket, kill you diode and or driver and or batteries

AnthoT

I would definetly take them out. Once I left it in the host outside while camping and then it started to rain a bit...... KABOOM the tail cap of the host blasted off. No one got hurt at least but it costed me money for a new laser host and battery.

Depends on quality/type of battery, some can leak and corrode components, but this can take 1 year+.

I always take batteries out and keep them separate, not because i'm afraid that they will blow/leak, but for safety reasons.

You wouldn't leave a loaded gun somewhere, for the same reason you wouldn't leave a fully functioning laser around. It's just an invitation for an accident.

Fiddy

if you have a case negative host and insulation on the body of the battery is ripped/torn/cut/bare and it touches the wall in the battery tube, you will bypass the tail switch (if it has one) and the laser will run!

Unlikely but it is possible, i always remove my batteries from hosts when in storage, so they don't have the chance to slowly discharge and if you forget that its in there and you pick up the laser next time and turn it on, you probably wont expect it to light up and it does..

If you have quality cells . . .

they are fine in a host.

A quality #18650 should have 90% charge,

after a year in storage at room temp.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

jimdt7

I have all my 18650 batt's in a safe box and just
open it when i want to use my laser !

Jim