Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery question/Help

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I apologize if I am wrong. I am following a simple build by youtuber styropyro. Using this, http://www.dx.com/p/200mw-532nm-green-laser-module-3v-11-9mm-26891?r=93098389#.Vp5gTuBOnqA in the build he suggests powering it with 2 AA batteries. I have a 4x AA battery holder already and was wondering if that would be safe to use ? 4 AA's vs 2 AA's ? Or if anyone can suggest a smarter way to power it ? I have never built a laser and this one seemed to be a good FIRST build. Also I will solder and build it with better quality than used in the video lol smh. Here is the link to the video. Thanks. https://youtu.be/Y7JavGjcb0Y

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Matt. :beer:
I would not use 4 AA batteries with that particular module, as it is meant for 3V only.
If you want to use your 4 AA holder, you could buy a couple of AA sized dummy batteries, like THESE here.

Last edited:
....unless you changed the wiring in the holder to be two sets of AAs wired in parallel, same voltage then but more capacity. might not be possible depending on the holder,and whether you can/are willing to modify it

Last edited:
The module is meant to work with 3v so 6v is not recomended. If you are not getting a 2 AA holder, get dummy battery like what Bowtieguy suggested. Another option is to solder wire to connect the postive and negative terminal of 2 of the slots. This should leave you with 2 other slot for AA battery

Pman

Those modules are almost certainly the same as these from Fasttech:
https://m.fasttech.com/products/1620/10000626/1057303-5mw-532nm-green-laser-module-3v-119mm
You can also buy these ones (which I prefer because they can handle a higher input voltage and yet still lase at the same output with a couple standard alkaline.
https://m.fasttech.com/products/1620/10001030/1088900-new-wish-5mw-green-laser-module
For max output set pot to .43A (430mA) as they are usually set between 280-320mA. Doing so will likely make about 1/2 of them output over 100mW;)

....unless you changed the wiring in the holder to be two sets of AAs wired in parallel, same voltage then but more capacity. might not be possible depending on the holder,and whether you can/are willing to modify it

THIS!
You beat me to it +rep.

Thanks for all the replys everyone. Any forum i have been on, ATV's Cars's etc. never gave me a flow of responses like you guys did lol. I appreciate it. I decided to just go ahead and get a 2x AA holder and build the laser. Hmm well than I'm guessing that this company gets 5mw lasers adjusts pot to "200mw" and resells for a higher price. That is annoying. Could have saved some money lol. Should have came to LPF first !

From what I understand adjusting pot is done by turning "screw" left counter clockwise for more amperage and right clockwise for less ? Is this correct ?

What is proper procedure for checking the amperage that the pot is set at ?
Thanks again for all the advice.

Those modules are almost certainly the same as these from Fasttech:
https://m.fasttech.com/products/1620/10000626/1057303-5mw-532nm-green-laser-module-3v-119mm
You can also buy these ones (which I prefer because they can handle a higher input voltage and yet still lase at the same output with a couple standard alkaline.
https://m.fasttech.com/products/1620/10001030/1088900-new-wish-5mw-green-laser-module
For max output set pot to .43A (430mA) as they are usually set between 280-320mA. Doing so will likely make about 1/2 of them output over 100mW;)

Is replying to a comment the only way to tag someone in a reply ?

Also is there any way I can make the switch on the module permanently on ? So I can use my own switch ?

"...unless you changed the wiring in the holder to be two sets of AAs wired in parallel, same voltage then but more capacity. might not be possible depending on the holder,and whether you can/are willing to modify it " Nice reply Shakenawake I tried to Rep+ but I still have to spread the love out even wider yet :undecided:

Hi MattRYFZ450 :wave:
Welcome to the forum.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Matt, yes you can bypass the switch. Here is a link showing how to do it; there are others out there also.
The white "custom" search bar at the bottom of the page contains most everything you can think of.
I'm not sure what you mean by "tag" somebody, but if you want to contact someone without posting, you can sent that person a PM (personal message); just click on their user name and select "send a private message to .......".

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Pman

For those modules you turn the pot counterclockwise for more output. I set mine with a variable DC power supply which is the fastest easiest way but if you don't have one you need a multimeter that can read amps/milli amps and just follow the directions that will come with it. Really can't get into building much on your own without one. I would explain it out better but I need to get some sleep. My wife had this crappy itchy cruddy throat coughing thing and now my throat is cruddy too.
Fasttech labels them as 5mW but they usually put out over 50mW with no adjustment.

Last edited:
For those modules you turn the pot counterclockwise for more output. I set mine with a variable DC power supply which is the fastest easiest way but if you don't have one you need a multimeter that can read amps/milli amps and just follow the directions that will come with it. Really can't get into building much on your own without one.
Fasttech labels them as 5mW but they usually put out over 50mW with no adjustment.

I have a multimeter. Where should I place leads to see what amperage that I'm adjusting the pot to ? Just the pos/neg leads off the whole module ? Or would that just give me the amps the batteries are producing ?

Pman

Just google "how to measure milli amps with a multimeter. It's not across the red and black wire, it's in series with the red wire and power. Actually very simple to do.

Matt;
Forget the two AA batteries . . .

Get an 18650 lithium ion cell.

It can be recharged hundreds of times and will fit hosts for future builds.

LarryDFW

Last edited: