Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

battery memory

sterg

i have a question about rechargable batterys.. i use energizer e2 nihm batters for my 90 mw green laser and was wondering do these batterys have memory? what i mean by that is if i charge these batterys all the time say when there half empty will they start to have memory and only work till about half empty? i know this was the case with alot of digital camera users back in the day when they were the newest thing.. so will my energizer e2's be affected in the same way? :-?

As wooo said, NiMh's dont have memory problems. You should get countless (Yes, countless) Recharges with them

Actually, I can count over one thousand, which is about the cycle life of the average NiMH AA cell. Note that there are higher quality cells out there, as well as those of MUCH lower quality.
But that still makes them the best deal in town. :) I love my NiMH cells.

My NiMH batteries suck. They are 900mAh e2 AAA's and they lasted for about 10 minutes of total run time and then my laser dropped in power to probably about 70mW. And ever since the 1st recharge they last about 5 minutes. I hate them.

Gazoo

Either you have a cheap brand, they have aged...or you possibly have a bad battery. Try eneloops.. ;D

My eneloops are working great i put some in my remote control too theyve been going good for awhile now, when i put regualr ni-mh (before i knew they drained therselves) they lasted about half as long as a normal alkaline did, go figure...

Now i just need to put them in the x-65 im gettin tommorow, freshly charged right out of the charger ;D

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Gazoo

So you are getting an X65 for Christmas....sweet. :) I bet you are going nuts waiting for tomorrow ;D

If only you knew how slowww this day is going by.. hopefully its a high powered one, as long as it will light a match unaidid within 30sec im fine, even if it doesnt i have a lense i bought from them which will definantly be able to light it. And its the first time i will ever have seen a green laser in real life ;D

Its going as slow as this [smiley=smiley_down.gif] [smiley=smiley_down.gif] [smiley=smiley_down.gif], (p.s. if you cant tell its broken and looks like the clocks you have then im never gona ask you what time it is ;D)

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• broken20clock.jpg
    broken20clock.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 83

Gazoo

My jaw dropped when I first turned on my Nova...it is so bright...lol. Hope you got goggles too? You will need them especially for lighting matches. I know you will be excited so be careful.....but have fun too :)

yep ordered some goggles from them, i also got some dewalt goggles that were meant for making red lasers visible but block green, i just wanted to see if those block the laser like the nova goggles, altho im never gona use them to protect my eyes.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Gazoo

wooooooolazer said:
yep ordered some goggles from them, i also got some dewalt goggles that were meant for making red lasers visible but block green, i just wanted to see if those block the laser like the nova goggles, altho im never gona use them to protect my eyes.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Sounds awesome....well I know you will probably be up most of the night waiting for tomorrow...even though time has stopped.. ;D I remember those days... :) You got me almost as excited as you are...lol.

No rechargeables are good in a laser, usually because the laser driver board needs more than 2.6V (from 2x 1.25V NiMH), rather the 3V from 2x 1.5V alkalines.
Well, no rechargeables are as good as alks or liths.

Alternative - I have a battery charger called the ReZap Battery Doctor which is capable of safely charging alkaline and other nonrechargeable batteries! Works, too, go buy one :p

I bought some NiMh rechargeable 1800 mAh AAA's from ebay with a mini charger for no more than $25 bucks. Ive saved so much in the past 6 or 7 months just by using them-it has had to be over 150 recharges now which would equal well over $300 in conventional alks.

Go to ebay and look for 1800 mAh batteries. They are WELL worth the money you would pay for them....

Jago

BlueFusion said:
No rechargeables are good in a laser, usually because the laser driver board needs more than 2.6V (from 2x 1.25V NiMH), rather the 3V from 2x 1.5V alkalines.

Rechargable nimh (about 1.35 volt) batteries are at least as good as alkaline (about 1.55 volt) batteries. The voltage may be higher when you check it using a multimeter, but once you put some resistance on it the voltage drops alot. Also, the capacaty of nimh and alkaline batteries may be the same, but with the alkaline batteries dropping their  voltage within just a few minutes you get a very weak output from your laser, throw the battery away and take a new pair of batteries. I don't really know about lithium batteries, but it seems rather expensive to me compared to the NiMH batteries wich you can charge over and over. But they might be the best choice if you got alot of money.

merry christmas btw :D :D :D :D  ;)

If you measure new alks they will indeed say 1.48 volts each, but when you put a few minutes of use in a high powered battery on them that 1.5 can easily go down to a 1.3. Ive seen good brand name batteries (Duracell and Panasonic) quickly lose a 1.5 volt charge. Not to mention their overall life sucks.

As i mentioned above, my 1800 mAh's can go on for hours and hours. Even in higher powered models it still lasts a good time. My 5mw ran on the same pair for virtually a week with no significant power drops of any sort noticeable to the eye. Heck, i even accidentally left it on one time while i slept and when i woke up it was still pretty bright (Bad move on my part-luckily the 5mw didnt produce much heat)

Alternative - I have a battery charger called the ReZap Battery Doctor which is capable of safely charging alkaline and other nonrechargeable batteries! Works, too, go buy one

I heard about the ReZap. It supposedly works pretty well but then again it has a hefty price tag.,.. can easily go above $50 USD. Isnt that bad but when you can get 4 rechargeables for 5 bucks it definitely rivals the rezap.

Not to mention the max amount you can recharge an alk with the rezap is not that high. I would doubt you get no more than 8-10 recharges....