Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery help please

im looking to get a 1W diode that is reliable and has decent sized leads
5.6mm 445nm ~1W laser diode [M0024] - $51.99 : Modwerx Shop
^^^this is the one i found but idk if there is a cheaper one that still has reliability.
My question to everyone is generally whats the mAh required for a 1w diode? i have a UltraFire LC 14500 3.6V at 900mAh. Will i have a reasonable battery life with this (it is rechargeable)?

Thanks to all :)

Hey man, welcome to the forum.

All 445 diodes circling around this hobby are all the same. You may find it cheaper on this forum in the B/S/T section. I believe you already know but mAh refers to how much juice the battery can hold. i.e. how long it can last. Remember that you need a driver and you can't just hook up the LD to the batteries. I suggest jib77's driver.

Modwerx is a good outfit.
I hope you plan to use a driver.
Depending upon what driver you use -there are many choices of batteries.
If you try using LPF search you will save time for all and find a lot of good info and pics.

Another super source of laser info is Sam's Laser FAQ.

I hope this is not going to be your first laser.
And that you know all about ESD and Eye safety.

For very little $$ you can build a nice red laser ,even if you damage it you will not have spent a lot on it.
Crawling before walking is important.

WELCOME

HAK

i have a driver, copper heat sink, the works, eye protection etc, i've been reading up on this website for a while so i'm aware of the safety precautions, this is by third build by the way for those wondering. the driver will likely set to 1 amp so the battery should run for about 9/10 of an hour right?

thanks for the quick responses as well!

Static electricity protection in your list of 'the works' prolly the number one diode killer.

im using jayrobs 18650 kit if that helps with the parts list, how would i better protect my diode from ESD?

anti static mat and wrist strap
ground yourself and your good...
and 14500 cant handle allot of Amps ( i think)
for jayrobs 18650 kit you will have to use a 18650 ( with a boost drive)
or 2 * 16340's with a linear driver