Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery advice

I am fairly new at this and need some advice on batteries. I am purchasing an 18650 and Pocket Mini host from jayrob and I'm not sure what batteries to buy. I will be putting a 445nm diode in the 18650 host and a PHR or 6x 405 in the Pocket Mini.

I see the 18650 host can take a single 18650 battery or two cr123a batteries, and the Pocket Mini takes either a cr123a or rcr123a.... since I don't have either of these I'm going to need to purchase some. Would using two cr123a's work just as well as one 18650 in the 18650 host so i don't have to buy two different battery sets and chargers for them?

What is the difference between cr123a and rcr123a batteries? If it would be acceptable in the 18650 host to use two cr123a batteries... would it also be fine to use two rcr123a batteries?

I've read in the forums that the AW brand is one of the best to get. I was looking at lighthound.com to buy them... unless you know of a better place. What charger could you recommend for the cr123a, rcr123a and 18650 batteries?

Do you know if there is a charger that can charge both (or all three) of these batteries in the same unit?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this info is elsewhere on the forums... I looked and couldn't see exactly what I was looking for.

rcr123A is just a rechargeable cr123A. as for the 18650 or cr123A, it depends on the voltage that you need

Thanks hugo, I wasn't sure on the cr123a and rcr123a difference, because I saw chargers that said one or the other. I think I know what I'm going to buy now! Thanks again!

extelon;

The #18650 is the most developed and utilized battery of all the lithium ion types.

It has more capacity than any 2 RCR123 batteries.

I have used both types in hundreds of UV lights I have built.

I prefer the "Name Brand" manufacturers like Panasonic, Sony and Samsung ...,

since they have been thru stringent UL testing.

There are single chargers that can charge both size lithium-ion batteries.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
Took me a while to realize, for just laser pointers, that AAA Lithium Ion batteries were ideal. I noticed once I tested mine using regular AAA.

And rcr123a is rechargeable and the other isn't, or at least usually isn't. Who knows, people are probably screwing with it and blowing their hands off or something.

Exerd

Over at Candlepowerforums, many 18650 batteries have been tested for use in high-draw flashlights. A graph was made documenting performance of all 18650 batteries.

There are three leading 18650 batteries which are above the rest. Those three are also very close to being identical in output.

The three top batteries are:

Tenergy 2600mAH (turquoise blue color)

AW 2600mAH (black and red)

Ultrafire 3000mAH (red)

You can pretty much disregard the mAH rating. They are all close to a true 2500mAH.

As for RCR123s, I have not found a complete comparison, but I would be willing to place my bets on the same brands. So, a 900mAH Tenergy for instance, in RCR123 would be good.

Exerd

When I'm charging the RCR123's, can I put 2 in-line, or am I should I only put 1 per side with a spacer?

You can't put two in line. That would series or double the voltage.

You must use an inert conductive spacer.

Thanks guys! I ended up getting AW branded RCR123 and 18650 and the Pila charger.

Buy Pila IBCT 4-stage Charger, AC Adapter | Pila BC01-AC01

When I'm charging the RCR123's, can I put 2 in-line, or am I should I only put 1 per side with a spacer?

I picked up this charger...

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=10638

I like the way it adjusts to various sized batteries, I also like that it has a mha and voltage switch I can adjust on it.

At the very least I have 18650's and a couple RCR123's I need to work with, so having a charger than can handle both well was ideal. I was also looking at another host that would be using a 14500 battery as well and didn't really want to pick up several different chargers just to accomodate the different battery sizes.