Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Batteries

is there a big difference in quality and performance in different brands of each type of battery?
if so
in your opinion what is the best brand of each type of battery?

I prefer low-discharge (LD) NIMH because:
-after sitting on a shelf for 12 months, they retain about 80% power, unlike regular NIMH which rapidly lose power
-they're rechargable and yet acheive performance close to that of more expensive lithium (e.g. Energizer e2)
-they're offered in AAA through D sizes, maybe more
-better regulated output in high-drain devices
-you can get six AA's, 2 AAA's and the charger for under $20 after $5 rebate @ walmart.

For brands, I like Rayovac Hybrid LD NIMH, although I've also heard good things about Eneloop LD NIMH.

However, lithiums:
-have a super-long shelf-life (like 10+ years, longer than alkalines)
-are  higher powered than NIMH
-are lighter (some flashlights will float if you put lithiums in them)
-have some advantage as far as not discharging some kind of gas which most or all other battery types emit (I'm not sure on this one).

There are also rechargable lithiums. I don't know much about these, although it's the kind of batt in most cell phones. 123A is a particular size lithium battery that is frequently used in high drain devices. There are many brands of this size, at very different performance levels and prices.

Alkalines:
-are appropriate is if you're putting them in something very low drain, like a TV remote or a digital clock.

What size battery do you need (i.e. AAA, C, etc.), and is it for a laser or is it for some other device? It would help if you shared some information about what you'd like to do with batteries.

eggsy

another battery question..

anyone know where to get rechargable CR2s and chargers?

eggsy said:
another battery question..

anyone know where to get rechargable CR2s and chargers?

I couldn't find them at:
thomasdistributing dot com

So I went to Amazon, category electronics, typed in "rechargeable cr2" and found this:
Juice CR2 Rechargeable Photo Lithium Starter Kit

Only $28 shipped! :) I can't vouch for these batteries. I've never used them before.