Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bats (flying rodents) and bluray lasers...

I've noticed that whenever I fire my bluray up into the night sky, the bats in nearby trees go completely insane. Not only do they squak like a flock of angry geese, but they swarm the area randomly almost in a frenzy. Anyone else notice this?

Normally the bats around here swoop at dusk and settle down quietly after dark, but it seems that turning on a bluray sends them in to a psychotic rage.

I wasn't able to find much with google, just a random story that mentioned bats have a hieghtened sensitivity to UV light.

Completely random topic, but I thought it was an interesting find.

Last year, I had my x75 and duck and bat went crazy too. I'm not sure about the uv sensivity but would make sense as they're noctural

Well blu-ray light as you know is very close to UV light... this could explain it... funny this is simular to the story of my dog.. if I shine a red laser she will chase it around, if I use a green laser she seems as tho she can't even see it.. doesn't even notice its there... BUT if I use a blu-ray laser she will pull up her lips and expose her teeth while VERY loudly growling and barking.. I dunno my dogs kinda wierd :thinking:

Krutz

bats see UV? strange, there is no UV at night and almost none at dusk..
insects see UV, perhaps there is a beam of insects where your blu-ray shines, and the bats go crazy for that? ;-)

welcome to lpf, by the way!

manuel

Autist

Last week, I took my PHR out to the garden at dusk to enable long distance focus, and a bat flew right at me, and pulled away when it got within 3 feet of me. Made me jump a bit.

David

I've noticed it too. They do go crazy for whatever reason, the ones near my 6x were going after the beam. Circling it and just acting "batty". Ha haaa

acting "batty". Ha haaa

The bats are not the only thing acting batty...D'oh.

I'll have to try this and will report.

My cat sees 20mW of 532nm with no problem. She even swipes at the beam. I never tried the 405nm 'cause I don't want to blind her.

You're still douchey as ever, eh? Report back to us though, cause I'm sure it will be different for you . I mean we've got six people sayin it's happens but that don't mean anything, lies I bet. :rolleyes: Troll on though. I'm postitive you'll have something else stupid to say. ;)

You're still douchey as ever, eh? Report back to us though, cause I'm sure it will be different for you . I mean we've got six people sayin it's happens but that don't mean anything, lies I bet. Troll on though. I'm postitive you'll have something else stupid to say.

Dude I think you are the one with issues here.

The first line was a joke. Notice the "D'oh"?

I completely believe it. I want to see it, and tell you all about my experience. What's wrong with that?!?!? If I'm a stupid douche for wanting to share my experience, then oh well. I didn't know I needed your approval.

Why dont you add me to your ignore list so my posts dont trip your bi-polar anymore? You keep misjudging me and calling me names. Something I don't even do. Maybe an adjustment in your meds will help.

Last edited:
You're still douchey as ever, eh? Report back to us though, cause I'm sure it will be different for you . I mean we've got six people sayin it's happens but that don't mean anything, lies I bet. Troll on though. I'm postitive you'll have something else stupid to say.

Stop posting crap! he wasn't attacking you or calling you names! it was a joke and I thought it was pretty funny! if you got a problem pm him with your conserns, ignore him or if thats all too hard seek help!!

okie guys i made a test.. i got my BR pen and also an Ultrafire UV flashlight.. looks like you guys are right. Bats and even house rats are kinda irritated at the light wave, im still asking an animal expert we will here from him in 3 days or so. but on the phone he told me that UV and 405nm wavelenght causes some noise that only animals can here causing them to react on it.

try these links that i found..

http://www.orn.mpg.de/aktuelles/presse/fledermaeuse_en.pdf

Bats using UV light as their sight!

Last edited:
I know you guys aren't doing any of this on purpose, but I feel like I need to say something.

Bats might not be too attractive to look at, or your favorite animal by any measure. However, the ones around me are slowly dying out (from some kind of white fungus disease, I read about it, can't remember the name.) Bats are VERY IMPORTANT and eat tons of the insects that bother you. They are a super vital link in the food chain.

The idea of getting rabies from bats is sorta wrong too. In the past 50 years, only about 40 people in the US have died from rabies from a bat. Most bats die before they are able to transmit their rabies to a human.

I know you guys wouldn't harm an animal with your laser intentionally. I know. I'm just saying...don't mess with them too much, because they are a very important animal.

On a similar note, I live on a lake, and my buddy shined his green laser out over the lake at night. Suddenly, there were over 9000 geese taking off. It sounded like a plane. Prolly not good to do that to them, so we didn't do it again - but funny the first time on accident.

Last edited:

Ivan

Nice find Matrixcs, I was curious as to why animals would react strangely to BR lasers.

Lasher

Could it be that these Lasers are emitting a sound wave as well as a light wave that is just beyond our normal hearing?

My understanding of bats is that they use sound to navigate in flight and if the beam was emitting some high freq sound that is near there hearing range then that could be why they are so offended by it.

Just a thought.

Lasher

Krutz

sound, i wouldnt think so.. but good thinking, maybe they are in fact pulsed or PWM modulated, by a frequency that is way too high to see for us (even as a dotted line), but in the bats hearing range? so they totally go mad to now see the frequency they normally hear? provided they are way faster at seeing than us, not too likely :)

manuel